This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A engine "loading up"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Super A engine "loading up"

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Bear with me, I don't know if I can describe this well, I wasn't there when it happened.

They are picking wheat on the farm, we are short a chore tractor right now, so I put "Old Ugly" the Super A on the bin auger. It's 47" long and 8" diameter. A pretty good load but it'll run it. After I left my dad said on two different occasions the engine started "loading up" like it was pulling real hard. He had to reduce the flow of wheat running into the auger to keep it from stalling.

It has worked hard for me several times this spring with no problems. I am really inclined to believe that he was just pushing it too hard. But, could I be missing something? Is it a points/plugs/wires/coil issue?

Thanks
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Super A engine "loading up"

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 am

95% chance it just ran out of hp
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:28 am

Boss, I am inclined to think so too. The old tractor has run good as long as I've had it. It's a little smokey when you first crank it but pretty good orherwise.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:50 pm

You might be thinking of "lugging down" here.

If the tractor's behavior changed in direct correlation to how much wheat was being dumped in the auger, I would say that that is the cause.

If the load was removed completely and it was still lugging down, I would look at timing, then the hydraulics.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Hadn't had chance to follow back up, but when she loaded down it was simply because of too much wheat! Once, while I was unloading I dumped the bed too far and it wedged the gate up against the cage on the bottom of the auger, and I couldn't close it off. The pan was over-filling, but wasn't running over, there is a little bit of a "combination" required to lower the dump, and it wasn't working! :shock: :shock: Anyway the old tractor ran for close for a minute in a dead overload until it finally choked off. Given the fact it's a little "smokey" sometimes I was darn proud that it could hold out as long as it did--the auger is an 8" diameter and 47' long. Not too bad for a tractor I got in a trade for a Cub and a little handful of cash!

Al
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG (114.28 KiB) Viewed 86 times

IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG (125.12 KiB) Viewed 86 times

IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG (161.78 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”