Smokey Super A

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 pm

So my Super A likes to smoke after it warms up. This started to occur after I replaced the cylinder head in January. Thoughts? Running rich? Poorly sealed head gasket? Like I said, this only happens when it gets warmed up, but there is no loss in power, just loss of oxygen to my lungs haha

Also, when the tractor gets warmed up, I notice a loss of oil pressure, it straddles the red zone on the gauge. My oil pressure to start with doesn't seem high and I'm thinking that there is sludge on the bottom of my oil pan constricting flow into the pump. The reason I think there is sludge because this also coincidentally happened when I added some Marvels Mystery Oil to the oil, maybe I loosened some crap up.

Re: Smokey Super A

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 am

Smoke is black, blue, or white? Blue is oil smoke, and it indicates that oil is leaking past the valve stems, or is getting sucked up around the piston rings. IIRC, a dry compression test then a wet compression test will tell the tale. If the compression goes up significantly after you add oil (like a tablespoon full I think) to the cylinder, you've got worn rings. If it doesn't, it's a valve problem.

Loss of oil pressure as the tractor gets warmed up generally indicates worn bearings.

It's a long shot, but it is possible that the oil pump cover plate has become warped and is leaking. This can be remedied by lapping the plate back to flatness on some sand paper attached to a flat surface such as a granite stone or piece of thick glass.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I can't think of the color right now, but I'm leaning towards white rather than blue. I haven't noticed a loss of oil, just pressure. I never had a pressure loss like this until I added the oil additive. I'll drain it and pull the pan this weekend and take a look at whats going under there.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 pm

White is generally water-based moisture, typically engine coolant. That is not good as it would indicate a cracked cylinder sleeve, cracked head, or blown head gasket.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

You might re-torque the head bolts and see if that makes any difference. Did you Copper-Kote the head gasket before assembly?

Bob

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:You might re-torque the head bolts and see if that makes any difference. Did you Copper-Kote the head gasket before assembly?

Bob

Yep, copper coated the gasket. torqued to 80lbs. I hope its not a crack somewhere......