This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Square bolts head and nuts

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 2794

Square bolts head and nuts

Postby minkbigbird » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:07 pm

G'Day all. Can any one help with what would have been used on the under belly cultivation equipment on my 51 SAV. when it was new I have seen some tractors with both Hex and Square headed bolts and nuts also some with round flat washers, and some without mine had square flat washers in some places but they look like they had been added later? thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Square bolts head and nuts

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Where at ? on the cultivator some places had square head and some had hex need to know where
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby minkbigbird » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:17 am

G'Day. This is where it get difficult for me not knowing the correct part names, the first would be the two 3/4" unc nuts that fit to each of the tool bars that are connected to the large cast supports which are slotted, this is where mine appeared to have home made square flat washers, second would be the 3/8 nuts and bolts that hold the plant shields and the support brackets to the tool bar, the shields are fairly thin material were they fitted with flat washers? Hope this helps identify the nuts and bolts in question.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:03 am

You're talking about the square bolts/washers that go into here right??

Pictures would be greatly appreciated
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:15 pm

The nuts that go on the toolbars that bolt to the universal mounting frame should not have washers
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby minkbigbird » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:12 am

G,Day. Thanks for the information, I think I have answered one of my own questions looking at a catalog picture on the net of a set of plant shields they are held in position with square headed nuts and bolts. The other one not sure of which is little harder to explain for a novice are the cast brackets that fit to my tool bars by two 3/4" bolts there are two underneath the centre and two at the rear of the tractor these bolts fit the cast bracket with and open hole at one end and on the other side of the support a key hole type slot allowing it to be connected with out removing the nut, 6 bolts in total, the holes are quite a loose fit allowing a 3/4" nut to cut into the casting this is why I thought a square nut may have given more surface area. sorry I don't know how to post a picture.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I believe you are talking about the quick attatch studs in the final drives at the rear. They should have cone shaped nuts (like wheel lug nuts) to pull down tight. Also the front bars are held on in the keyhole slots with the same type.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby minkbigbird » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:56 am

Daniel thanks for your reply, not the nuts in question I'll try again I made a mistake in saying that there are 6 should be 8 nuts in question on my SAV my tool bars are square made to sit in a diamond position with two threaded studs 3/4" dia. welded to a frame going around the tool bar I have seen this connection in many pictures on the net nothing new there, these studs come up through a cast piece which looks like a "T" upside down with a slight curve this cast piece is held by a gang bar from the front and a adjustment connecting rod from the touch control at the top. On my tractor there are 2 underneath in the middle and 2 at the rear, these cast pieces have a key hole slot on one side and an open slot at the other side.
To refresh the question what shape nut that goes there? and was a flat washer used? the slot is cast and there appears to be a lot of clearance, the newer Hex nuts seem to have a smaller head across the flats than the older type, and would cut in to the edges of the slots in the cast pieces without a flat washer or was it a larger nut? I trust this makes some sense.
If this seems hard I have started to replace all the rear axle seals and brake bands, no good with a shiney tractor and can't stop it.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Can you post a picture?
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."