This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake drum.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 2794

Brake drum.

Postby minkbigbird » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 am

I will have to learn how to post pictures Daniel, In the mean time To-day I stripped down the right rear axle and differential shaft from the transmission out every part pressure washed and removed all seals and bearings but now see why the brakes did not work, it was full of old oil that looked like grease gone hard the brake band had no lining material left and the band itself had worn through in the middle only leaving a thin strip along the edges holding it all together.
My question is can the brake drum be machined with a clean up cut to remove the scores and pitting on the brake surface, I would guess about 1/16" of each side or 1/8" max. AO dia. and still work with the standard complete brake band replacement part?or should I just leave it. I can't save any thing from the original part.the seals are also stuffed old leather type and need to be replaced.never seen anything so bad ever.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Brake drum.

Postby Daniel H. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 am

I have sucessfully had the rear drums turned on both a Super A and a Cub. I do not know how much was removed, but all the scores were turned out. The bands can be relined, if you have a shop that does that kind of work around. Another common problem is that the right break pedal support casting will wear out and allow the pedal to turn to the side when braking. This can be fixed by having the casting bored and a bushing pressed into it. A new shaft with the parking brake sector is available from A&I Products.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 2794

Re: Brake drum.

Postby minkbigbird » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for that I will have it machined to the minimum cut and your right about the pedal movement just one more job to fix.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”