Farmall Fuel cap recall

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Talk about service, I read there was a recall on the fuel cap for my A so I went to the site and filled out the form. Less than a week later I received my new cap from International. I can't get that service when I buy something.

Re: Farmall Fuel cap recall

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm

I got one too a while back. I got it within a week and I was told it would be something like 3-4 weeks. I actually like the look of the tall gascap.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 pm

I went through my wife's grandfather's barn writing down serial numbers and model numbers and ordered caps for his whole fleet of Farmalls (at least the gas ones...) It's amazing that they are still giving free replacements.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Just did a "Farmall Gas Cap" search on Ebay. Didn't spend a lot of time but there are many for sale from 'Buy It Now' $36.95 plus $3.99 shipping to less than $10. Identical to those you get for free. Isn't the free enterprise system marvelous!!!!

Bill

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 pm

If they're scamming the free gas cap offer to make money, it's a lot of work for very little gain.

You don't see those $36.95 caps selling very often. You might sell one once a year to some bonehead that doesn't bother to shop around.

$36.95... oooooh, what a SCORE! (sarcasm hat)

That's not even enough to go out to dinner anymore, let alone enough to make a living.

Reality is, if the tractor has already received a free gas cap, you are not eligible to receive another. Navistar doesn't seem to keep track, though...

It must be slowing down, though. Just a few years ago you would wait for MONTHS for a gas cap because they'd be cleaned out and wouldn't get another shipment from the manufacturer for a while. Even more recently it was 3-4 weeks for real. If they're getting them out in a week they don't have anything better to do :)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 pm

I wrote all of my numbers down, filled out the form about a year ago and never heard anything back. Maybe i did something wrong. I think i will try it again.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If they're scamming the free gas cap offer to make money, it's a lot of work for very little gain.

You don't see those $36.95 caps selling very often. You might sell one once a year to some bonehead that doesn't bother to shop around. ...

Matt,

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went back to eBay and looked. A listing for $36.95 with free shipping says they have sold 37. Another listing for $36.95 plus $3.99 shipping has 14 sold. Both listings are for the same seller but (round numbers) 50 caps @ $35 = $1750. I don't know about you but I can take my wife out a lot of times with that much money.

I'm making the assumption that eBay's tracking system is keeping record of the sales.

Bill

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:20 am

Clint Carter wrote:I wrote all of my numbers down, filled out the form about a year ago and never heard anything back. Maybe i did something wrong. I think i will try it again.

You can call them at (331) 332-2411 too. Then you'll know your information has been received.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Frankly I'm surprised so many have been sold that way. There must be more stupid people with IH's than I thought.

Still, I can think of a many easier ways to make $1750 that aren't unethical/fraudulent. You'd think the gas cap website would figure out when someone filled in the form 50 times in a row.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 pm

I think it's a bit of a jump to automatically assume that the somebody is scamming the free ones and reselling them with no proof or knowledge. Maybe the guy is actually buying them somewhere and reselling them. I'll bet there are people who pay for them thinking the free one is a scam (if they are even aware of it). Also, where do honest people get a replacement for their replacement? I mean if it gets damaged or lost somehow? It's supposed to be one per tractor right? Somebody needs to be selling them. Haven't tried but I bet if you go to your local IH dealer to get a gas cap you'll pay for it. Mainly because it's not Case IH that's doing the free caps, it's the company that was founded as IH, which is now called Navistar, who still has the liability for the old IH company.

I have no connection to the ebay seller, haven't even looked at them there.

I darn sure don't want some of you guys on the jury if I'm ever on trial.