This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Fuel cap recall

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Fibber Mcgee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32011

Farmall Fuel cap recall

Postby Fibber Mcgee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Talk about service, I read there was a recall on the fuel cap for my A so I went to the site and filled out the form. Less than a week later I received my new cap from International. I can't get that service when I buy something.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Farmall Fuel cap recall

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm

I got one too a while back. I got it within a week and I was told it would be something like 3-4 weeks. I actually like the look of the tall gascap.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 pm

I went through my wife's grandfather's barn writing down serial numbers and model numbers and ordered caps for his whole fleet of Farmalls (at least the gas ones...) It's amazing that they are still giving free replacements.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Just did a "Farmall Gas Cap" search on Ebay. Didn't spend a lot of time but there are many for sale from 'Buy It Now' $36.95 plus $3.99 shipping to less than $10. Identical to those you get for free. Isn't the free enterprise system marvelous!!!!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 pm

If they're scamming the free gas cap offer to make money, it's a lot of work for very little gain.

You don't see those $36.95 caps selling very often. You might sell one once a year to some bonehead that doesn't bother to shop around.

$36.95... oooooh, what a SCORE! (sarcasm hat)

That's not even enough to go out to dinner anymore, let alone enough to make a living.

Reality is, if the tractor has already received a free gas cap, you are not eligible to receive another. Navistar doesn't seem to keep track, though...

It must be slowing down, though. Just a few years ago you would wait for MONTHS for a gas cap because they'd be cleaned out and wouldn't get another shipment from the manufacturer for a while. Even more recently it was 3-4 weeks for real. If they're getting them out in a week they don't have anything better to do :)

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 pm

I wrote all of my numbers down, filled out the form about a year ago and never heard anything back. Maybe i did something wrong. I think i will try it again.
Have A Nice Day!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If they're scamming the free gas cap offer to make money, it's a lot of work for very little gain.

You don't see those $36.95 caps selling very often. You might sell one once a year to some bonehead that doesn't bother to shop around. ...

Matt,

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went back to eBay and looked. A listing for $36.95 with free shipping says they have sold 37. Another listing for $36.95 plus $3.99 shipping has 14 sold. Both listings are for the same seller but (round numbers) 50 caps @ $35 = $1750. I don't know about you but I can take my wife out a lot of times with that much money.

I'm making the assumption that eBay's tracking system is keeping record of the sales.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:20 am

Clint Carter wrote:I wrote all of my numbers down, filled out the form about a year ago and never heard anything back. Maybe i did something wrong. I think i will try it again.

You can call them at (331) 332-2411 too. Then you'll know your information has been received.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Frankly I'm surprised so many have been sold that way. There must be more stupid people with IH's than I thought.

Still, I can think of a many easier ways to make $1750 that aren't unethical/fraudulent. You'd think the gas cap website would figure out when someone filled in the form 50 times in a row.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 pm

I think it's a bit of a jump to automatically assume that the somebody is scamming the free ones and reselling them with no proof or knowledge. Maybe the guy is actually buying them somewhere and reselling them. I'll bet there are people who pay for them thinking the free one is a scam (if they are even aware of it). Also, where do honest people get a replacement for their replacement? I mean if it gets damaged or lost somehow? It's supposed to be one per tractor right? Somebody needs to be selling them. Haven't tried but I bet if you go to your local IH dealer to get a gas cap you'll pay for it. Mainly because it's not Case IH that's doing the free caps, it's the company that was founded as IH, which is now called Navistar, who still has the liability for the old IH company.

I have no connection to the ebay seller, haven't even looked at them there.

I darn sure don't want some of you guys on the jury if I'm ever on trial.

Pompiere
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm

I stumbled across this post last week while I was laid up. With nothing to lose, I sent my son out to the barn and verify the numbers and submitted the information on the web site. http://www.ihgascap.com Just now, barely a week later, UPS truck dropped them off. They do look different than the original cap, but that's a small price for not having a fire, especially on a working tractor.

From the pictures I've seen posted, many people already have received new gas caps. I just wanted to let everyone know, this recall is still active. In fact, the following was on the site: Note: Due to low volume of cap requests, and high inventory, the FREE GAS CAP offer will be extended indefinitely.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:58 am

I sent off for one for my '47 Cub with the advise of this site. I then sent off for one for my friend's Super A. Even though both times the site said it will be 4 to 8 weeks, or something like that, I received both within a week of ordering them.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

We rented a farm house from the widow of a man that was killed due to a fuel fire on a tractor, I think it was a Case but not sure. He was cultivating corn in a bottom along the Cuivre River and drove to a country store nearby and fueled up, but filled it to the very top. The exhaust had rusted off right at the top of the manifold and not been repaired. Gasoline overflowed onto the hood and a spark from the exhaust lit it. Rather than abandoning it and letting it burn he tried to drive it into the river to save the tractor, but was so severely burned he did not live. It was not because he could not afford to replace the tractor, he was an engineer at McDonnel Douglas Aircraft. He was just not willing to spend the money he had. Renting the house on the farm and seeing things there, I saw several examples of his "false" economy
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”