This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1953 SA Hydraulic Pump rebuild observations and question(s)

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22
‘19 Kubota L6060
Circle of Safety: Y

1953 SA Hydraulic Pump rebuild observations and question(s)

Postby Worksmart » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:22 pm

What started out as a simple oil change to winter weight oil became a hydraulic pump rebuild.

Upon draining the oil something didn't look right. Color and consistency was "off" for only 1 year old oil with probably 10 hours or less on it. Not milky but just didn't seem right. I figured hydraulic fluid was mixed in. Did not check oil level at the petcocks before draining as I had no reason to suspect anything since hydraulics were functioning properly. The hydraulic fluid was a little lower than where I remember it being when I topped it off last year. So I decided to inspect/rebuild hydraulic pump.

Upon disassembly I found this where the pump mates the engine block. Some milky oil on the "shelf" just inside the block. I was surprised to see this since the oil drained did not appear milky and coolant level has not changed.

PA220068.JPG
PA220068.JPG (68.82 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I tracked down all the required parts to rebuild the Pesco pump and dove into my first pump rebuild on either a SA or Cub. Pretty straight forward. Slight amount of wear at the shaft/seal interface point.

PA310074.JPG
PA310074.JPG (69.49 KiB) Viewed 382 times

New shaft seal was thinner than the one removed so installing it flush with the housing kept the lip off the worn area on the shaft.

Upon reassembly of the pump and tubes, I think I found a problem. I think the gasket between the Touch Control and the manifold/tubes was backwards. I had left the old one in place and it didn't look right. The large hole was over the small hole and the small hole was over the large hole on the Touch Control mating surface. I'm assuming this may create some type of flow restriction or back pressure?

Question: The large tube flows fluid from the pump to the Touch Control and the small tube flows fluid from the Touch Control to the pump?

Question: When the gasket goes in, the large hole in the gasket goes over the large hole and the small hole in the gasket goes over the small hole on the Touch Control mating surface?

When I tried the new gasket the way the way the old one was, the bolt holes wouldn't quite line up.

Question: If the gasket was in wrong constricting flow on the larger tube, could that force fluid past the shaft seal into the engine? Or cause some other problem(s)?

I did reinstall the gasket with hole sizes matching because it made more sense to me. Hopefully that's correct. Changed the strainer too. The system appears to be functioning properly. I will keep a closer eye on both the engine oil and Touch Control fluid for changes in level.

Chuck
Worksmart not hard!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1953 SA Hydraulic Pump rebuild observations and question

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:06 am

Actually, the larger tube is the suction side (supply) to the pump, so the gasket installed backward would not have caused your seal failure. At any rate, I think you re-installed it correctly. Don't over think the seal failure, it's an old tractor.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: 1953 SA Hydraulic Pump rebuild observations and question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:49 am

Gary Dotson wrote:........ Don't over think the seal failure, it's an old tractor.
One of my cubs has an old style pump with the seal rather than o'ring. The seal failed on it several years ago, and like you, I found that the new one was thinner than the original so it could be seated so it ran in a different place on the shaft. Anytime I replace a seal or o-ring that is on a rotating shaft I like to smooth up where it runs, or if it is running in a different place, there also to make sure it is smooth with no rough spots. I used to do that with strips of fine emery cloth, but now prefer using one of these abrasive buffs in my Dremel. Their lives are pretty short, but they sure do a great job.

One note, unless you happen to like replacing that seal, don't get i a hurry and forget to refill the touch control before you start it. Don't ask why I mention that. :oops: In my defense, I was doing other things in addition to the pump and trying to get ready for Cubarama the next morning. At least that sounded like a good excuse to me.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22