This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck Touch Control Lever on Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Stuck Touch Control Lever on Super A

Postby AllanD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:23 pm

Sorry for the new post so soon but I thought it would be better to start a new thread for my other problem. The left Touch Control works fine but the right wouldn't budge. I disconnected the rod and the rock shaft works fine when I move the control rod so it is in the lever assembly. I took the assembly off and got the right lever loose from the shaft with some difficulty. I had to drill out the roll pin holding it on. I then removed the C shaped spring retainer. The shaft still wouldn't move. I applied a lot of penetrating oil and my super penetrating oil of Dexron and acetone but still could only twist it a few degrees. It looked like it should slide out to the right but I couldn't move it even with a slide hammer. Then since it would twist a little I put more force with a wrench on the end of it and broke off the L shaped piece on the end that hooks to the control rod. I'll have to weld that back on this weekend. So either it is real stuck or I am totally mixed up on how it is supposed to come out and screwed it up. In my parts book the shaft appears to be #23 in the drawing which is: part 354 751 R11
Anybody know how to get this piece out and loosened up?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Stuck Touch Control Lever on Super A

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 pm

shoulda coated the thing in PB blaster then shooting it with some heat to break it.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AllanD » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 am

Mike, good point. The black areas are where I applied a butane torch to it. Maybe I need more heat, do you think I need oxy-acetylene? I wasn't sure what the piece was made of, I have heard that you need to be careful with high heat on cast iron but this may be cast steel. Would you heat it all the way to the point of it glowing red or is that risky?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

Before you sink too much time and expense in it check with JP Tractor, one of the sponsors at the bottom of this page.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 pm

AllanD wrote:Mike, good point. The black areas are where I applied a butane torch to it. Maybe I need more heat, do you think I need oxy-acetylene? I wasn't sure what the piece was made of, I have heard that you need to be careful with high heat on cast iron but this may be cast steel. Would you heat it all the way to the point of it glowing red or is that risky?

Shouldn't need too much heat. I just use a propane torch on everything. Doesn't take much heat to cause expansion, which is what you are aiming for. Like I said, soak the thing in PB Blaster\WD40 or any other penetrating oil and then torch all the areas but the rod. You want to expand the metal around it, torching the rod itself won't be as effective.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AllanD » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:53 pm

To catch up on this issue, I can say problem solved. I ended up using my slide hammer but made an adapter to fit on the end of the shaft. I'll try to post in the how to but I think patience for the oil to work was a significant asset. After I got it all cleaned and lubed I welded the arm back on yesterday. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”