1948 Super A Horse Power

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1948 Super A Horse Power

Postby Super A » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:34 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Wizbear wrote:How do I tell if it has a dual fuel head?
The part numbers cast into the head should help, but if it was originally a dual fuel it will have 2 fuel tanks. A big one and a little one gallon one. Also if I remember correctly, the serial for a gas only normally ends in X1 on models that were available as dual fuel.

They didn't use the suffix codes on the tractor serial numbers like they did with the H & M. Part number on the head will tell--I THINK. I can't remember if they used the same casting for the gas and the kerosene head. Again at this point it probably doesn't matter, the head has most likely been made into a gasoline head.

I bet you are getting max. horsepower. Take it to the field and work it and you will know!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 am

You may not notice a difference in the field, if your extra HP is coming from increased RPMs.

Extra RPMs gives you extra ground speed when pulling an implement, and the faster you go the more HP it takes to pull the implement. If the extra HP required to pull your implement at the higher speed is more than the additional HP gained due to the higher RPM, the tractor will simply "lug down" to a speed where the HP output of the engine and the HP required to pull the implement are the same.

If the power is coming from the refreshed engine, you will definitely notice a difference, though.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:12 am

I am definitely not an expert on the old rigs, but my understanding was that the dual fuel heads had slightly larger combustion chambers and there fore less compression. On the bigger ones such as H and M the pullers all look for LP heads due to higher compression and I believe larger valves, but I do not know if they made an LP head for Super A.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!