could this be sign that new was engine put in

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jdeere86
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 01098
Tractors Owned: 53' cub ''betsy''
64' 140

could this be sign that new was engine put in

Postby jdeere86 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:40 am

bottom of oil pan looks like took a beating at one point and then as you can see from photo either end of where oil pan attaches is a different surface from the sides - dont' know if this is how it is suppose to be . also one random 9/16'' or 5/8'' bolt I believe in the back middle of oil pan - the surface is not even whole way around on engine .. it is lower in front and back
Attachments
Picture1228151056_1.jpg
Picture1228151134_1 (1).jpg

jdeere86
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 01098
Tractors Owned: 53' cub ''betsy''
64' 140

Re: could this be sign that new was engine put in

Postby jdeere86 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 am

should I put extra sealant where it is lower or another piece of gasket to double it up in those areas to make it even with rest

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Beat up oil pans are fairly common and don't prove much one way or another. The different looking sections at each end of the block are oil seal retainer plates. They have to be removable from the block or you wouldn't be able to install/remove the crankshaft. They are die cast parts thus look different. They are also softer material than cast iron so use care tightening bolts into them. If an existing bolt is oversize, somebody already stripped the threads and went oversize rather than sticking in a helicoil. If there is some misalignment of one of these parts, I would leave them as they are unless I was planning to change the corresponding crankshaft seal. The cork gasket can tolerate some unevenness. Use a little gasket sealer if they are mismatched enough to cause a problem.

TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby TurboRoadster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:51 am

and yes, I know Im late to the party here,
but to address the corners, I used a razor and shaved the excess gasket material sticking up smooth to block and then I used a small amount of silicone gasket sealer at each corner to deal with the irregular surfaces. A small amount goes a long way, you dont want it gooping and blobbing into the crank area when tightened.