gear oil leak

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stiletto
Zip Code: 14487

gear oil leak

Postby Stiletto » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:03 pm

1946 A I have a gear oil leak on the left side of the rear axle housing, just to the right of the transmission. Gear oil is coming the hole in the bottom of that axle housing. I think a seal must be gone. Can someone tell me what seal is possibility gone. Is it tough to replace. Can I find one someplace. What happens if I just plug the hole with a cork ???? Thank you in advance.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: gear oil leak

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:26 pm

First things first, check your tractor's transmission for the proper oil level. Even if the seal is leaking, the oil level should not be so high that it runs out under normal circumstances. Odds are your transmission is half full of water.

To replace the seal on the left side of the rear end housing, you must remove the left tire, left wheel, and left final drive to access the seal. These are heavy parts that you really should have help to handle, and/or an engine hoist. The bolts may or may not come out easily, because you're dealing with rusty bolts that haven't been moved in 50-60 years, on a tractor that has probably spent much of its life outside in the weather.

The seal itself is available from any CaseIH dealer. If you live in any sort of city, there will be a bearing supply house that can cross reference and match you a generic seal. NAPA can also cross-reference and match most bearings and seals.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:27 pm

You might try draining the transmission. Or at least cracking the drain plug and seeing if water runs out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:49 pm

The seal thats is leaking in the one contained within the differential bearing carrier. Its a pressed seal. I did it myself, I believe you can do it without removing the transmission case from the tractor.

I made a couple videos documenting my time with my Super A. Not professional by any means but can provide visuals lol.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Stiletto
Zip Code: 14487

Postby Stiletto » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:16 pm

thanx to everyone for their responses. I'm gonna start with the top suggestions and work my way down if necessary. I looked at the vid and understand it, and hope I won't have to get there. We live on a private road 1/4 mile long in upstate NY and use it for snow plowing the road and our driveway for the last 40 years, Summers it's used for putting boats in and out of the lake. Unbelievable work horse!
I'll let everyone know how I make out. Thanks again for your help.