This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Tractor Sizes

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:29 pm

The H's and The M's Used A Larger Block (123 Cu In.)

Well most of that I cannot comment on, butt that quote I can. H's were 152cu" and Super H's were 164cu". High altitude pistons were an option and boosted power during sea level ops. Super H's had live hydraulics and a larger carb. Some late H's may have got the live pump as I know a fellow who has a straight H (late S/N) that has no live pump but the drive adapter has the same bolt pattern as a Super without the pump and it is original.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sizes Engines and Pistons

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:40 pm

FarmerFred888 wrote:The A's, C's, Super A's, and Super C's used the same basic blocks there were several differences though between them other than the transmissions and treads

The Only Difference between an A and a C is that a C uses a high compression piston, the pistons from a C will go into an A and give it a HP boost, this is what many tractor pullers do to make them run stronger

The only difference between a Super A and a Super C is the same, the pistons are different. The pistons for a Super A and an A are identical and The Pistons for a C and a Super C are identical

a B Uses a the Same Block as well just Different configurations from the A maybe slightly better Pistons as well

The Difference between the 'normal' letter series and the super letter series is the supers have waterpumps.

The H's and The M's and The Super H's And Super M's are the same way, the only differences between letters are pistons and a waterpump makes it a Super Letter Series

The H's and The M's Used A Larger Block (123 Cu In.) While The A's and C's and B's Used A Smaller Block (113 Cu In.)

Believe me on this I made a Pulling Tractor for a friend of mine out of his old Super A by putting Super C pistons into it, seamless transition, it'll purr along with 3 16" plows now.

Fred,
You did OK through the first sentence, but it was downhill from there.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Wide front

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:39 am

The reason I'm looking for a large (or wide) front tractor instead of the tricycle style is that I'm going to mount the IH-1000 loader on it and leave it on...

I don't think it would work too good having the loader on the tricycle tractor?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Allan,

You CAN'T put the IH 1000 loader on a tricycle front tractor. It only fits the Cub, Super A, 100, 130, and 140. They're all wide-front tractors...

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:36 am

Concerning H, Super H, M and Super M; all 4 models always came equipped with water pumps.

Live hydraulics became an OPTION on the Super M, and possibly on the Super H but I have never seen one equipped with it. Biggest differance between the Supers and the "nonsupers" in these models is an additional bump in power, otherwise they are very similar.

The really big jump in features came when the Super M evolved into the Super MTA (1954). It could be had with live hydraulics, live PTO and additional power. The Super MTA was produced for "about" a year (would start a 50 post arguement on that detail alone) and then evolved into the 400 in 1955, the same time the Super H evolved into the 300.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:40 am

The Super Hs and Super Ms did have live hydraulics. It was optional, but there are tractors out there equipped with them. Case in point, my Super H. It's a Stage II, and is equipped with the live hydraulic option.

These are commonly called "Stage II" Supers, and they're distinguished by the battery box being relocated to underneath the seat. Again, these could come with distributor-drive ("live") hydraulics, or standard belly-pump hydraulics, or no hydraulics at all.

Stage I Supers were essentially the same as their non-Super counterparts, except for more horsepower, disk brakes, and faster gearing.

Stage III Supers... Well, there's only one, the Super MTA. It's the only Stage III that made it into production, and was produced for roughly one year (both Super Ms and 400s were produced in 1954 as well). There is no such thing as a production Super HTA, though some people are building clones out of Super H and 300 parts, much to the chagrin of tractor purists, who throw hissy fits whenever the Super HTA is mentioned. There was at least one prototype Super HTA, but it was developed into the 300, and the original was scrapped.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:45 am

dhermesc wrote:
Live hydraulics became an OPTION on the Super M, and possibly on the Super H but I have never seen one equipped with it. Biggest differance between the Supers and the "nonsupers" in these models is an additional bump in power, otherwise they are very similar.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since these tractors were built, so many of them have been retrofitted with later options. That's the case with the live hydraulics on my '51 M that make the 3 pt work well. Some day it may even be made pretty!

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:07 am

[quote="Matt Kirsch"]The Super Hs and Super Ms did have live hydraulics. It was optional, but there are tractors out there equipped with them. Case in point, my Super H. It's a Stage II, and is equipped with the live hydraulic option.[/quote]

The live hydraulic option for the Super Hs didn't seem to make it into Kansas too often. As I said I've never seen one with a "factory" setup, although I've seen several with an add on unit like Willer has on his "M", mainly with units that have a three point added. But it must be a regional thing, like wide front ends. Most Hs and Ms (up to a LOT of 656s) in this area came with narrow fronts for cultivating, almost all wide fronts are later after market add ons.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:There was at least one prototype Super HTA, but it was developed into the 300, and the original was scrapped.

There was one well documented H with a TA. IH built it long before the Super H came along. Nobody has found evidence IH ever built a prototype Super H with a TA. No doubt some prototype or preproduction 300s were built using Super H patrs.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Okay, we're splitting hairs here. At that stage of the game, IH always had the next generation tractor in preproduction, and the next generation after that in prototype. The H with TA "test mule" may have been mostly H, but the features being developed on that tractor were slated for the next evolution of the H design after the Super H. That should have been the Super HTA, so technically it could be called a prototype Super HTA.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:46 pm

I almost went the route of putting a TA in my H before I got the slow gears. At least for many years a lot of parts were similar enough to retrofit back and forth. The TA might have been nice but I was told the slow gears would be slower.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”