Retainer Ring for Thermostat in 140

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Retainer Ring for Thermostat in 140

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:51 am

Just curious if there is a "common part" I could get to be used for the retainer ring that is needed when installing a thermostat in a Farmall 140? I am working on a 1968 Farmall 140 and there wasn't a thermostat in the neck when I took it apart. Going back together with a thermostat and need the retainer ring for it. I would just get one from the IH dealer or Burch Store Tractors (they sell a new OEM style retainer) but I want to get it back together when I'm off work tomorrow rather than wait a week for the part.

Are these common parts found anywhere? Will a regular internal snap ring work? If so, what size would be needed?

THANKS!
Attachments
Thermostat 140.JPG
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Retainer Ring for Thermostat in 140

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 am

UPDATE: Talked to a gentleman and it looks like the retainer ring is simply a "Spiral Internal Retainer Ring". I looked it up on McMaster-Carrs website to see what it looked like and it fits the picture of one offered online. I would assume a stainless steel one would be best since it wouldn't corrode over time. Would anyone know what size that groove is that the ring fits into? If so, I could go to the local hydraulic/machine shop or Fastenal and pick one up today or tomorrow without having to wait on a delivery. I hope this helps others that run into this and are in a pinch!
------------------------
Just curious if anyone had any information on this. If not, I guess I will be ordering one from a dealer and having it shipped to me. Just didn't want to have to wait several days since it is the only part holding me up.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Retainer Ring for Thermostat in 140

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 am

FWIW....Just wanted to share some information that I was able to dig up. Was able to get the neighbor to go by the house and take measurements of the water neck and found an internal spiral retainer ring (same as offered from CNH) that fits a 2 1/8 inch bore, locally. Keep in mind that price is for a Stainless Steel retainer ring, where CNH offers a plain steel ring as OEM. If proper coolant is used in the tractor, corrosion of the plain steel ring shouldn't be a concern. Below you will find the details on how to find and order the correct part. Hope this info helps someone out.

McMaster-Carr offers the correct part in:

• Stainless Steel at $4.67 each (part # 92370A261), or in
  • Plain Steel at $7.32 for a pack of 5 (part # 91985A261)

CNH offers the OEM ring (same as the Plain Steel McMaster-Carr one from what I hear for about $8.00 depending on dealer)
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com