This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear "bush hog" type mower for 140 fast hitch

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ridgerambler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29687

rear "bush hog" type mower for 140 fast hitch

Postby ridgerambler » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I want to purchase a rear "bush hog" for my 140 with fast hitch, but all I have been able to locate have the center mounted gear box and the drive shaft has to run at an angle through the hitch. I have a friend that has a mower with a gear box offset to the left of center so that the pto shaft is aligned with the rear of the tractor and there is no obstruction with the fast hitch when raising the mower. Wanted to hear from others that have a bush hog rear mounted mower on their SA, 100, 130 or 140 tractors. Any problems with the center mounted gear box? Anybody else seen one with the gear box offset to the left? Is 4 ft mower largest to consider for 140? Any problems with HP cutting taller grass? Looking for comments, suggestions, advice, etc...I am using an over running clutch either way....learned that the hard way on an allis D-14 years ago. Thanks! Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: rear "bush hog" type mower for 140 fast hitch

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 pm

The offset PTO will not hurt it. There were lots and lots and lots sold with centered gearboxes. I don't own one but every one I have ever seen for a 140, etc. was 4' wide.
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:22 pm

as Al said, the offset won't be a problem. Just always be mindful of the u-joint angles when searching for a mower. Some have a shorter shaft than others
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Super A wrote:The offset PTO will not hurt it. There were lots and lots and lots sold with centered gearboxes. I don't own one but every one I have ever seen for a 140, etc. was 4' wide.
Al

We have had many 4 ft and 5 ft cutters for the 1 point fast hitch..........all center gearbox. Get you a set of front wheel weights if you plan to use a 5 ft. mower.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

ridgerambler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ridgerambler » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks for the comments and advice. Just what I was looking for!! :thanx:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I would be interested in seeing pictures of this cutter with the offset gearbox. Is it a single large blade, or multiple blades?

Probably the only way to find one with an offset gearbox is to club your friend in the head and steal his, or find another exactly like it. First option lands you in jail, second option could take a very long time.

"Brush hog" style rotary mowers these days are built for 3pt hitches on compact tractors, so the gearboxes and shafts will be centered. One thing you could do if you are adapting a 3pt mower is to hang it offset to the left so the PTO shaft has better clearance.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I would be interested in seeing pictures of this cutter with the offset gearbox. Is it a single large blade, or multiple blades?

Probably the only way to find one with an offset gearbox is to club your friend in the head and steal his, or find another exactly like it. First option lands you in jail, second option could take a very long time.

"Brush hog" style rotary mowers these days are built for 3pt hitches on compact tractors, so the gearboxes and shafts will be centered. One thing you could do if you are adapting a 3pt mower is to hang it offset to the left so the PTO shaft has better clearance.

Another thing I've seen others do is get a tow-behind and hook it in one of the offset holes in the drawbar so the shaft is more inline with the PTO.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

ridgerambler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ridgerambler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:59 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I would be interested in seeing pictures of this cutter with the offset gearbox. Is it a single large blade, or multiple blades?

Matt:
I am not certain if it was single or multiple blade. No pictures because he sold it and his tractor about a year ago. I saw one for sale this past summer that was also offset and I think it was at Marshall Tractor near Lexington KY. Don't remember any details, just saw an advertisement...I just decided this Spring I wanted one, so did not pay much attention to it at the time. But they are/were out there, all be it few in number apparently.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”