Farmall Super A. Trouble starting after warmup.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Farmall Super A. Trouble starting after warmup.

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 pm

So My Super A fires up like a champ, but I've noticed on cold starts it requires a little more choking than normal, even on warmer days. The other thing I've noticed is that after a good warmup and drive (5 minutes down the road in 4th gear WOT) it has trouble starting back up.

6volt Magneto fyi

I've heard it could be the results of a bad coil, but It runs like a champ when I finally do get it to start.

I've also heard it could be a fuel/carb/manifold/gasket issue. Air leaking past the carb causing an inadvertent lean situation.

Thoughts? I plan on taking the carb off to clean. I put new manifold gaskets on a little over a year ago when Artc sold me the 'new' cylinder head. I do have a spare set though so it wouldn't kill me to remove it. I'd just hate to have to take my magneto off again, because I'd have to retime it. About a year ago I replaced everything in it but the coil.

EDIT: Could it be my valves are out of adjustment? Its been quite sometime since I checked the HOT values. 0.014 if my memory serves me correctly.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Farmall Super A. Trouble starting after warmup.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

You have pretty much covered the common causes, weak mag coil, valves set too tight, and bad carb or manifold gasket.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Pabst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 52-Krakus
Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Farmall super A 49
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:45 am

I had a similar issue with my super A, with 6v mag. When I was plowing and warmed up during plowing it would stall and would not start until after it cooled down. I had completed a overhaul but neglected to update the mag as well. After I overhauled the mag it has worked great!

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Pabst wrote:I had a similar issue with my super A, with 6v mag. When I was plowing and warmed up during plowing it would stall and would not start until after it cooled down. I had completed a overhaul but neglected to update the mag as well. After I overhauled the mag it has worked great!

The thing is my SA will start even if its hot, it just has trouble starting, which leads me away from a mag issue and more towards a valve/manifold heat expansion issue.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)