Serial number plate painted over, any paint removal advise?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ChrisTheCaver
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Super A

Serial number plate painted over, any paint removal advise?

Postby ChrisTheCaver » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:14 am

Hello,
After I got my Super A home last night I found that the serial number plate had been painted over. I can almost make out the stamped numbers but nothing else. Does anyone have any advise on removing the over lying paint without harming the original information?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris

1948 Farmall Super A

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Serial number plate painted over, any paint removal advi

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 am

Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Tim Talleur (forum name- tst) makes decal overlays for the Cub sn plates. He could probably make one up for your Super A if you end up with a blank plate after paint removal.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ChrisTheCaver

Postby ChrisTheCaver » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't get the search words right to find that post. I think it'll help. I saw a couple pictures of those overlays. They look pretty good.
Chris
Chris

1948 Farmall Super A

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:28 am

If you can almost make out numbers it's not nearly as painted over as the one I saw sold on Saturday. That tractor had 1/8" of yellow paint pretty much everywhere.

lwhiway
Zip Code: 70578
Tractors Owned: 1 69 Cub, 3 1951 SA's and tooling for all 4

Postby lwhiway » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Any of the store available paint removers over the counter will have notes on the back and warnings of what materials they are compatible for use with. I'm sure you could find something mild suitable for Al. use. What ever you use will probably remove any coloring that might have been left on the original impressions of the factory stampings.

I've cleaned a few over the years this way, paying attention to what was used and how it might react to Al. Using Black ink or black enamel and then wiped to re-touch the stamping will look just fine in the end.

I might add that using 'white' scotchbright pads over the red is less abrasive and less likely to damage the surface.

Looking at the past postings of how to remove the Tag it'self I'd drill the rivet heads off and then lightly using a sized punch for the shank, lightly punch the shanks out. I've seen some badly damaged tags after having been removed with a knife or scraper. That's just not necessary.

ChrisTheCaver

Postby ChrisTheCaver » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I as actually able to use a really fine sandpaper and work the paint down so I could read the numbers, that's all I was really looking to get. The upper part of the plate is pretty shot and I'd likely need to replace it if I was going to do a full restoration.
Chris
Chris

1948 Farmall Super A

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:55 pm

You know what they say about the Lord looking out for fools and children. When I was a kid, probably 8 or 9, we were doing something with the Super A at the hogs, probably moving sows. Well there was some down time and I was just hanging out waiting to be told what to do next......anyway the Super A had been repainted back in the 60s (this would have been early-mid 80s) and they put a THICK coat over the serial number tag. So I decided it would be good to scrape the paint off with a flathead screwdriver.....

Luckily, the paint on the tag was THICK, original lead-based 2150. It chipped off in nickle-dime sized chunks, with (this is the Lord looking out for fools and children part) no damage to the tag!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.