Dang! Had to drop 130 axle again.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0

Dang! Had to drop 130 axle again.

Postby EZ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Soon after I started using the 130, HyTran started leaking from the new steering shaft seal above the axle.
Then shortly after the steering went real sloppy again. Suspect a key again. Will drop the bottom half of the bolster tonight and see what's 'going on, up in there.'
One thing I did notice though, the steering arm was sloppy on the tapered shaft. Parts book shows that there is no washer between the big nut and the steering arm, but seems I need to put one to get the arm snugged up all the way tight. Maybe that will help. if it does I may just leave it alone and fill with good grease as some others have done. We will have to see.

Just Do It !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dang! Had to drop 130 axle again.

Postby Super A » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:50 pm

My limited experience is once you get wear at that arm it's hard to get it out. I've wondered about Loctite, or even having the arm and shaft drilled for a roll pin, if you could even get up in there to put a pin in it!

I believe in corn head grease or something heavier in that box, some purists disagree but ol well......

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby EZ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:15 pm

So.....I took the steering shaft out for inspection.
The upper key and sector gear are nice and tight (top bearing removed and sector removed also)
The upper key is new and I had the key way reworked during the rebuild. All looks good. Tight with no movement.
I believe the lower end of the shaft is wore, and also has a 'nick' in it which could be responsible for the seal leak.
Also the tapered end looks out of round and a combo of wear on the taper and steering arm are causing the play. Even if I put the nut up tight it will eventually come loose and the play will return. I suppose as well, there has to be some play on the worm and sector as the gears are slightly worn.
Now....I could get a new shaft ($180Cdn), which could heal the leaky seal, and remedy some of the play, but I am not sure at this point if it is worth it. the wheel has to be turned about a quarter turn before the wheels actually move. Has anyone ever installed a new shaft and won the battle?

The main reason I opened it back up was to check the re-worked keyway and new woodruff key (welded and ground as the original key broke and was flopping around and widening the keyway) Well I was happy to find that it was all good and tight. The first couple rides the the steering was nice and tight but then it get real sloppy and I thought the key had broken again....but not the case.
Just Do It !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Personally I wouldn't want there to be much slack in the steering, but there are plenty of tractors running with that much--and much more. How hard would it be to have the machine shop build it up and re-cut the taper?

I have wondered if IH went with a splined shaft here if it would have worn better. The tapered shaft was certainly better than the original square shaft where the center arm just clamped on, and I expect IH never expected these tractors to be running for so many years.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby EZ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks Al,
The axle is back on now. I can live with a bit of slop for now. My main goal was to check the top woodruff key and it was perfect. Some of the play comes from the lower keyway. The key is fine but there is a little side to side. I was able to slip a thin brass shim in to help but suspect it won't last long. A couple shims also helped cinch up the steering arm tighter as well with just enough room the get the cotter pin in. Oh well. It will be quite sufficient for the snow when it comes in few weeks.
Just Do It !

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 am

That steering gearbox was never intended to have hytran in it. Always gear lube, though cornhead grease would pretty much eliminate the seal leaks entirely.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby EZ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Matt,
After I was done putting it back together I put 80w gear oil in it and for now after a couple spins. No Leaks!
Just Do It !