Found a Super A 60 Blade for my Early A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Found a Super A 60 Blade for my Early A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:57 pm

I decided I can finally afford to pull the trigger on a Grader blade setup for my early A ('46). Well maybe I shouldn't spend the money but I'm tired of putting it off so what the heck?
I've been watching the classifieds but I haven't seen one for sale for a long time so I went back through the old ads from last winter and made a few phone calls to see who still had their plow. One just, one was still available. I made the drive two hours north to have a look.
I met with a fellow, John B. great guy with a 50 acre farm and probably 20 tractors, including probably a dozen A's. John said he's probably had dozens of A's over the years. He could probably retire on the sale of the parts he has accumulated but he's not really interested in doing that yet. It's for that reason I hold back on his full name. He had all kinds of cool stuff and after spending the better part of a day talking tractors and life in general John points out the shift knob on one of his tractors, its steel! Wow, I knew about them but here he had one. To my surprise we ended up taking a ride to a tractor in a back acre where he finds another steelie, replaces it with a rubber knob and makes a gift of it to me. Thank you didn't seem to cover it. I think I'm as happy with that knob as I am with the plow. To me it represents a time period in our nations history. Very cool. :-:-):
My A is a low number '46 so it was right on the cusp of having one. It'll be a nice addition.

The plow was complete but was what you'd expect for as old as it is and having been abused by its prior owners. John passed it along to me as he found it. Virtually every beam is tweaked, the origional bolts are replaced with what ever worked (duct tape replaced one nut) but thats a given. Some welds will need to be freshened up and the two long bolts need to be straightened. The important parts are there but the long threaded rod in the pressure spring rod assembly is half the length it should be.
Before I try to make that part myself is there a chance that anyone has that rod laying around collecting dust?
He are the pics...

Everything is bent to some degree :wink: This doesn't bother me though as I think I've done enough to feel comfortable that I can make this right.

the back side of the blade has a thick coating of blacktop which was painted red, sure why not?

The pressure spring rod assembly has its issues, re-welding needed here...

Here you see why I'd rather find another complete rod if I can find one.

Another issue I've got is that on my tractor, the one I intend to mount this on someone did some creative welding for whatever reason but it won't work with the plow mounts. On the bright side I have another A that has a tight front end that hasn't been buggered with. I'm figuring on swapping them out though I might be biting off more than I know. Haven't done that before.

Heres the weld work that I could probably reverse but I'm guessing it'd be easier to swap out.

I think I have some fun ahead of me. :{_}:
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0

Re: Found a Super A 60 Blade for my Early A

Postby EZ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:28 am

Mike,
That does look like a mess on that bolster.
So you have the industrial axle model.
I just had my front bolster apart to check the steering.
It can come off without removing the rad I found out. The only trying part is the axle keeper U bolt.
Had to take of the fan shroud to get room to fit a hand in and get the U bolt out.
I had mine out and back on in a few hours.
Likely a good time to swap seals and gaskets etc....while in there.
A bendy blade is better than no blade.
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0

Postby EZ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

Mike,
Not sure why anyone would weld that square rod to the bolster. Maybe did not know that the 4 bolt holes are for holding it in place? Seems kind of strange.
Anyway, seeing that you are thinking of swapping it out, there would be no harm in putting the grinder to that one and seeing how deep it is in there.
If your steering is already tight, I would just start cutting out that weld.
Just Do It !

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:24 pm

I have two A's right now, one I'm keeping and one that I found cheap enough that I couldn't pass it up so intended to enjoy restoring it and then flip.
Not a grab for quick money, just fun to work with.
Both tractors are Industrial A's. Tractor #1 that I'm keeping runs great and was modified by the PO with a wooden bed, a carry-all on the back with chain hooks for dragging logs. Works perfect for me.
The other tractor, #2 was a lawn ornament for its PO some 10 years before I took ownership. Once home I cleaned the tank and with the carb borrowed from #1 it fired over with the hand crank. #2 Also still has the IA foot throttle and peddle pan.
As for #1's steering, it is sloppy to the point of being unsafe in 4th gear.
Dale Finch passed along a steering sector awhile back which I intended to install but #2's whole front assembly is tight with a perfect bolster so I'm thinking the best move right now would be to just swap them out. I'll compare steering sectors and install the tightest in #1. I've looked around and I may still pick up a good bolster for #2 if I can't repair the buggered up one properly.
My intent for tractor #2 is to correct all that is wrong, make it pretty and make it capable of working with cultivators.
I have the proper hand lift and cultivators set for it.
Cultivators are cool but I'll never use them, but #1 can haul firewood, tools, tow large trailers, and soon hopefully plow snow. :wink:
I wasn't sure about splitting the Cub last winter to change the clutch and while I had some issue with the new pilot bushing but it was otherwise not all that tough.
Hopefully getting this done will be similar in difficulty.
Mike.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:29 pm

The plow skids/shoes on the A's plow are worn out. Having looked through TM Tractors site and putting together a shopping list in my head for the Lo-Boy (I have too many irons in the fire :roll: ) I saw the grader blade shoes they offer. These are sold for a cub 54 blade but is there a difference?
Would they be the same as used on an A's 60" plow?
I could make them but if these are the same???
Mike

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Shoes are different numbers. Don't have one to compare so don't know how different they are.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:07 am

Jim Becker wrote:Shoes are different numbers. Don't have one to compare so don't know how different they are.

Ok thanks Jim. Guess I'll have to make my own. I have a blacksmith friend that can help probably with the bends.
Mike

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:48 pm

I had one shoe that was worn. I just had someone weld some plate to the bottom to re-thicken it.

Does anyone know if the curve of the Cub blade is the same as the 60? Thats honestly the tricky part it getting one, if the curve is the same you could probably get a Cub one and modify it accordingly.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 pm

havoc1482 wrote:I had one shoe that was worn. I just had someone weld some plate to the bottom to re-thicken it.

Does anyone know if the curve of the Cub blade is the same as the 60? Thats honestly the tricky part it getting one, if the curve is the same you could probably get a Cub one and modify it accordingly.

Did the welds hold up? If so I'll go that route. Welding I can do and I probably have enough left to work with.
Mike.
PS- I got the steering sector from Al (Super A), I got fenders from Dale. I can't seem to keep track of part sources, friends who have helped me out. Sorry :oops:

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 am

Yeah they did, infact one of the shoes was broken in two pieces at the 90 degree(ish) bend it makes so that was also welded. That is a high stress area and it hasn't broken with 2 seasons of use.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Glad to hear that John B. was good to ya (sorry, had to do that). It was a nice gift to give you the cast knob.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm sure there are folks here that know John personally and are in his circle of tractor minded friends.
He's not inclined to open shop just yet. I have to respect that.
I'll tell you what though when he is if you need it, he's got it.
Mike