TSC and oil filter question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: TSC and oil filter question

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 pm

It just grates on me when people start in on this, "Nyahhh! Tractor Supply doesn't sell tractor parts," thing.

Yes, TSC was all about tractor parts but that business model's ship sailed long ago. If you also remember the stores were far and few between and they just seemed to fade away. Central Tractor also sold tractor parts; many stores even had wrecking yards where they parted out tractors and sold the used parts. Something happened, maybe the farm economy going down the tubes in the early 1980's, maybe farmers just decided it was more convenient to go to the local dealers, but I was still quite young when these places all dried up and vanished.

Tractor Supply was in the toilet, all but non-existent, until someone decided to take the brand and turn it into what it is now, which is an (apparently) successful retailer of many different things, not just tractor parts, with more stores than ever. It's an American success story, not something to be sneered at because the name isn't 100% accurate with regards to the contents of the store. I don't hear anybody complaining that Walmart doesn't sell walls, or that K-Mart doesn't sell K's, or that Target sells something other than targets, or that Sears doesn't sell burned meat...

I'm surprised you found tractor oil filters in a TSC. We have several TSC stores of varying sizes in the area and they carry a couple of shelves of the most common pickup truck oil filters, but nothing for a tractor.

For what they are they do have quite a selection of items you can't get anywhere else, especially on evenings and weekends. Heavy duty towing products you can't get anywhere else but a trailer shop, which is only open from 8:30AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday, and so far out of your way that you'd have to take half a day off work to do business with them, is just one example of things they carry. They do carry a limited selection of the more common ignition parts, carburetor kits, seats, sickle sections, belts, pulleys, etc.. Items that can get you going again on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday morning when all the machinery dealers are closed. Horse feed, cattle feed, veterinary products... Again, stuff you can't get after 5PM on a weekday, or on a Saturday afternoon, or at all on Sunday.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: TSC and oil filter question

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:. . . or that K-Mart doesn't sell K's, . . .

When the K-car first came out, I recall seeing them on display in front of K-Mart. I don't know if it was a local thing or if it was done nationally.