This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New 140 Owner

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New 140 Owner

Postby Super A » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 am

That's a 12 volt generator. You can tell by the shape and size, plus it has a fan on it which most 6 volt IH generators were sealed.

CDD if you want to rebuild it check out Sandy's Automotive Electric, outside of Jacksonville near the airport. Also Wallace Starter & Generator in Wallace, they're good too. I usually use them because I'm in town from time to time.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 am

CDD wrote:...Any suggestions on paint to put on them?

The paint you choose is up to you. Jim Becker would be a good reference for original paint color schemes. If you paint any implements International Blue, I'd recommend Ace Hardware's Rust Stop spray paint. It is very close to the original color; applies and wears very good.

Ace Rust Stop International Blue Spraypaint (Small).jpg

For the red, I would recommend Case/IH 2150 available at your dealer. Also wears very good.

Nice haul on the 140 and extras!! :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:44 am

If I take off the generator does it need to be polarized again?

If not then if I put in new bushing, bearing and brushes does it have to be polarized?

If polarization is needed, is there a tutorial for this? One with pictures would be nice.

Also looking for a nice printable schematic for the wiring as well.

Thanks

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:48 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:What is the serial number of the tractor?

I havent gotten the paint off of the tag yet. I started with a little sandpaper and it looks blank. Got some paint remover will try that

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:49 am

Super A wrote:That's a 12 volt generator. You can tell by the shape and size, plus it has a fan on it which most 6 volt IH generators were sealed.

CDD if you want to rebuild it check out Sandy's Automotive Electric, outside of Jacksonville near the airport. Also Wallace Starter & Generator in Wallace, they're good too. I usually use them because I'm in town from time to time.

Al

Thanks

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 am

CDD wrote:
If polarization is needed, is there a tutorial for this? One with pictures would be nice.

Found the thread sorry for the post

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:What is the serial number of the tractor?

Was able to get the paint off of the tag. The serial is 11375 J so it is a 1961 with a rockford clutch.
Attachments
20161202_145809.jpg

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:27 am

Here are the implements i got with it, not counting the cultivators, scraper blade and fertilizer distributor. Still rebuilding the generator so I haven't hooked any up yet.

Need to get the wire brush, penetrating oil and paint out on them all too.

20161218_155751.jpg
A22 Mower?

20161218_155732.jpg
Plow?

20161218_155729.jpg
Spring Cultivator and rake?

20161218_155722.jpg
Box blade

20161218_155712.jpg
Bush hog

Any information on the implements would be greatly appreciated.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 am

Hard to tell from the photos, but your sickle bar mower does not look complete, unless there are parts not shown in the photos. I don't see the front mounting frame.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 am

Yes I have it in the workshop.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am

Tractor looks nice. a 1961 model would have originally been 6 volt with a 6v generator, so I guess the PO (previous owner) converted it to 12 volt with a 12v generator.

Also, just for informational purposes......the hood on your tractor is the correct style hood for 1961, and the front cowl/nose piece is from a newer tractor. What exactly are you needing to know about the wiring diagram. Explain and we can help. I don't have that particular diagram handy.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:18 am

Well,
I really just want it for reference. I will need to rewire most of it as the wires are deteriorating(harnesses are expensive). There are no lights, but i have some to put on it so that will be part of it.
I was told that earlier in this post about the sheet metal not matching but you now have told me what one is correct.
I also read about the crank start, i looked on the pulled and it does have the notches to accept a crank handle, but the bumper is in the access way. Doesn't look bent, but shouldn't have to crank it anyway.
I did order some manuals(IH Farmall 140 Tractor SHOP, Preventive Maintenance Owners Manual) for it and should be here today maybe the schematics will be in there. Is there a copy write issue with those since no one has loaded them on this site for download?
I ordered a generator rebuild kit with bushing, bearing and brushes and noticed that the bushing is solid and does not have a cut out to allow the oil to go all the way through. I am thinking that there will still be seepage to it once I put oil in it? Will that be ok?

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:27 pm

CDD wrote:Well,
I really just want it for reference. I will need to rewire most of it as the wires are deteriorating(harnesses are expensive). There are no lights, but i have some to put on it so that will be part of it.

The wiring on these tractors is real simple. With yours being a 12 volt "conversion" (to original equipment) be sure to use that diagram if you find it.

QUESTION: Does your tractor still have the saddle type starter switch and pull rod that originally came on a 6v 1961 model, or has it been converted to the dash push-button style starter as found on the 12v models?

CDD wrote: I was told that earlier in this post about the sheet metal not matching but you now have told me what one is correct.

I wouldn't worry about looking for the correct nose piece sheetmetal for the tractor as they are very hard to find in good condition. Both versions will bring several hundred dollars to the right buyer. Yours will be fine as-is unless you just have to have the "correct" one.

CDD wrote: I did order some manuals(IH Farmall 140 Tractor SHOP, Preventive Maintenance Owners Manual) for it and should be here today maybe the schematics will be in there. Is there a copy write issue with those since no one has loaded them on this site for download?

I thought I had sent the Farmall 140 owners manual to Dennis a year or two ago to upload to the site, but maybe I didn't. Probably just because not as many people on here have 140 tractors.

CDD wrote: I ordered a generator rebuild kit with bushing, bearing and brushes and noticed that the bushing is solid and does not have a cut out to allow the oil to go all the way through. I am thinking that there will still be seepage to it once I put oil in it? Will that be ok?

I'm not sure about this because I typically let a shop rebuild them. They don't require very much lubrication since there is an oil wick in there (I think), so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:59 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
CDD wrote:Well,

The wiring on these tractors is real simple. With yours being a 12 volt "conversion" (to original equipment) be sure to use that diagram if you find it.

QUESTION: Does your tractor still have the saddle type starter switch and pull rod that originally came on a 6v 1961 model, or has it been converted to the dash push-button style starter as found on the 12v models?

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to me like the saddle style switch. Maybe all that was changed was the generator and regulator, plus the ballast resistor.

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
CDD wrote: I ordered a generator rebuild kit with bushing, bearing and brushes and noticed that the bushing is solid and does not have a cut out to allow the oil to go all the way through. I am thinking that there will still be seepage to it once I put oil in it? Will that be ok?

I'm not sure about this because I typically let a shop rebuild them. They don't require very much lubrication since there is an oil wick in there (I think), so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Not knowing just how that particular generator was designed, it probably does have a wick for oiling the bushing. Looking at the old bushing may tell you if anything needs to be done to the new one (if the old bushing wasn't an improperly installed replacement). Sometimes you need to drill an oil hole in a new bushing. After the old one is removed, you can see what sort of oil passage feeds the bushing. If done carefully, you can drill the new bushing before installing it then install so the hole lines up.

Your implement collection looks like a good set but will need a bit of derusting. The plow looks like super chief bottoms. Replacement wear parts are readily available. The "Spring Cultivator and rake?" look like a rock rake (used for roadway maintenance) and a weeder-mulcher (used with cultivators while crop and weeds are both small).

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:30 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
QUESTION: Does your tractor still have the saddle type starter switch and pull rod that originally came on a 6v 1961 model, or has it been converted to the dash push-button style starter as found on the 12v models?[/color]

Yes it still has the saddle and pull rod
Last edited by CDD on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”