super A governor

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

super A governor

Postby SONNY » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:12 pm

On super A, does the radiator have to come off to get the gov. out, looks like dist. has to come off.
I need to se why mine dont move.---it starts and runs at half throttle and no more, no less and pulls down and dies when attempting to drive it, so gov. is not working.---all linkage is loose and working.---acts like something inside is not doing its thing.---Have a new used one coming to put in and trying to find out how to re-pair/re-place this one,---(IH books dont tell) thanks; sonny

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: super A governor

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:39 am

I have been in these governors, several times. Yes, it can be removed without removing the radiator, or the hood for that matter. It takes five different configurations of wrenches to get the six bolts out. Keep track of where the bolts go because they're at least 3 different lengths. The housing comes off and the gear and weights stay with the engine.

Most likely either the spring or the thrust bearing has given up the ghost. If either of them breaks you lose throttle control. One will give you the symptom of idle only, the other will give you the symptom of high throttle only.

Both parts are easy to replace, and available through CaseIH. Not cheap, though. For the record I would replace both while you're in there because when one goes the other is not far behind. Replace both so you don't have to take the governor off again.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: super A governor

Postby SONNY » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks Matt! I see the different length bolts, and the wrench problem I think I have covered.---Just didn't want something to get away and loose it in the gravel yard!---been there before and it not fun!
IH neighbor says he MIGHT have a gov. for an A IF I need to replace the whole thing, so it;s lookin better for this one.
Really wanted to get this one running cause I can easily assemble a 3-pt. hitch on it.---have most of the parts, and only have to make the drop lift bars. thanks; sonny