Do I Need Hydraulics?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fhon
Zip Code: 17356

Do I Need Hydraulics?

Postby fhon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research on tractors, trying to decide what I need. And this site has been a ton of help so thank you all for that.

I was looking at the cubs for long time but now I'm pretty set on the A / Super A. I just can't decide which?

I've found some really good deals on the regular A's but would I regret not having the hydraulics? My main concern is one of the front mount snow plows. Am I gonna be ripping my shoulder out of its socket trying to lift that manually? Also I've heard of people complaining about the lever breaking. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Do I Need Hydraulics?

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Suggest making a list of all the tasks you want your tractor to perform.

I would be looking for a tractor with live PTO and perhaps a 3-point or fast hitch, as well as a mower tractor. Yup. The tractor would have to have hydraulics.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Yes you can get great deals on the early A's without hydraulics (like I did).
Why? Because it doesn't have hydraulics :wink: .
If your going to have one tractor, do yourself a favor and wait to find a good Super A.
Especially if you intend to plow snow with it.
You may want to expand your search to 100, 130, and 140 tractors which are the same size with a little more power. Another thing to consider in your search is it can be easier to find one of these tractors for sale with a snowplow and other implements included than trying to find a snowplow setup for it later.
Cub 54 plows are easy but the 60" Super A plows can be a bear to find for sale but itself.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Front mount hyd. pumps can be installed and have a REAL hyd. system!!!! thanks; sonny

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 pm

PM sent

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:11 pm

I do not know about your area, but in my area implements for an A are pretty scarce. Super A implements are a little easier to find, and they do NOT interchange.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

fhon

Postby fhon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 am

Ugh, everybody's has to ruin it for me by being all practical :)

You all make great points. I had no idea the implements weren't interchangeable. It makes sense though. What makes it so hard is I'd only need the hydraulics for the plow.

After I posted this I thought "maybe I could put a winch on it for the plow". I have a long drive I need to plow but it's narrow so (at least in my head) I wouldn't need to lift the plow as often. Im surprised no one seems to have any complaints about the hydraulics being that they're so old. I'd assume they'd be having a lot of problems and it would be hard to find parts.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 am

fhon wrote:I'm surprised no one seems to have any complaints about the hydraulics being that they're so old. I'd assume they'd be having a lot of problems and it would be hard to find parts.
Parts for most tractors manufactured in the 1950's and later are available. Place and order, may have to wait a day or two for the parts to be delivered.

Suggest researching tractor makes and models that were popular in your area in the 1950's and later. If the tractor was popular in your area, implements should be readily available. Also suggest reading flyers/ads on and attending local farm auctions. Never know what you will find.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:58 am

The front grader blade from a SA will bolt up to an A but a hand lift connection to the blade has to be fabricated. I'm in the process of doing that now. The jury is still out as to how hard it'll be to lift the plow and if the two helper springs will do the job. Hydraulics is much simpler.
Mike

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:16 pm

If all you're going to use the hydraulics for is plowing snow, get a Super A with hydraulics, you will be glad you did. When plowing snow you move the blade up/down, A LOT.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:If all you're going to use the hydraulics for is plowing snow, get a Super A with hydraulics, you will be glad you did. When plowing snow you move the blade up/down, A LOT.

Bill

Exactly!
My cub is my primary weapon for snow. I'm only setting my A up with a snowplow because I have it, as a back up, and just to see if I can make it work.
Mike

fhon

Postby fhon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks again, everyone. Forgive me if I sound like I'm not listening to reason but I have to get this outta my head so I sleep at night.

What's wrong with an electric winch for the plow?

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm

fhon wrote:Thanks again, everyone. Forgive me if I sound like I'm not listening to reason but I have to get this outta my head so I sleep at night.

I actually picked up a small winch from harbor freight as a "plan B" if the hand lift doesn't pan out. It powers up/down as does the one on my friends quad.
Hydraulics are still better though :wink:
Mikr

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm

fhon wrote:Thanks again, everyone. Forgive me if I sound like I'm not listening to reason but I have to get this outta my head so I sleep at night.

You will need 12 volts for the winch.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:20 pm

As John stated, for a winch you will need 12 volts. That means you either have to convert the tractor to 12 or buy one that has already been converted. Based on what I have seen, you buy one that is already converted and you have about even chances of needing to do some or all of it over. The third option is to mount an extra 12-volt battery just to run the winch.

If you use a winch cable to lift the blade, you will need to somehow manage slack in the cable. Slack can come from running the winch out more than needed and from the blade floating up over irregular surfaces. You may be able to handle it with a tensioner that will hold the slack and/or adding retaining loops to any pulleys that keep the cable in place.