Do I Need Hydraulics?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Do I Need Hydraulics?

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 pm

My thought, since you want a tractor to plow snow, buy a good running tractor with the blade.

From reading previous posts, you don't own a tractor or a blade. Ask yourself, cost of a tractor, cost of a blade and frame, cost of the electric wench, fabrication to make it all work, modifications to the tractor. Then there is fuel and maintenance costs.

There are other machines that plow snow besides a farm tractor; old pickup truck with snow blade, skid steer.

I own a Case 1816 skid steer (weighs about 1500 lbs) (paid $1000- for it) that I bolted a Cub Cadet blade to the bucket. It pushes snow off the drive.

What does it cost to have a commercial firm or neighbor remove snow from the drive? Reason I posted this question is that it use to take my son in-law hours to clean his drive. He contracted with a firm to remove snow. $15- last I heard, takes the end loader 5 to 10 minutes to clear the drive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Some sort of retainers on the cable pulleys will be a MUST HAVE, so the line stays put, and even then it would work so, so. Guys do use them set up that way.---12-v tractor will also be a must, IF you go the winch route,----so that either leaves out the A ----UNLESS someone has already did the switch. thanks; sonny

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:23 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
fhon wrote:Thanks again, everyone. Forgive me if I sound like I'm not listening to reason but I have to get this outta my head so I sleep at night.

What's wrong with an electric winch for the plow?
You will need 12 volts for the winch.

Good point. Mine is converted to 12 and I had forgotten about that.
Again I'm doing this as I already owned the A and I have the Cub with a plow. If I were to reduce my collection down to one tractor It'd be the Cub that I'd keep. If I had none I'd probably look for a Super A, 100, 130, or 140.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

fhon
Zip Code: 17356

Postby fhon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:55 am

Lt.Mike wrote:
fhon wrote:Thanks again, everyone. Forgive me if I sound like I'm not listening to reason but I have to get this outta my head so I sleep at night.

What's wrong with an electric winch for the plow?

I actually picked up a small winch from harbor freight as a "plan B" if the hand lift doesn't pan out. It powers up/down as does the one on my friends quad.
Hydraulics are still better though :wink:
Mikr

This sums it up pretty well :D
I'll definitely be looking for a super A, 100, etc... It's good to know the A is still doable though. A friend has a regular A he's trying to get rid of but it would have to be the deal of a life time.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:54 pm

A winch doesn't give you down pressure either, and keeping the cable on the pulleys and routed where it's supposed to go is the least of your worries.

At least on a new winch, as soon as you release the tension on the cable, the cable on the spool goes, "SPROING!" because it's trying to straighten back out to its natural original shape. Unless you have a really old winch where the cable has taken a set and stays wound on the spool.

JoeKan
Zip Code: 66043

Postby JoeKan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:26 pm

I know a guy who says he has a Farmall SA but the hood emblem shows it as "A". It has front and rear hydraulics which makes me think it's a Super A. How else can you tell?

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 pm

JoeKan wrote:I know a guy who says he has a Farmall SA but the hood emblem shows it as "A". It has front and rear hydraulics which makes me think it's a Super A. How else can you tell?
Pictures would help a lot.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:45 pm

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... &th=510117

Above post on serial number location(s). Check the serial number plate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JoeKan

Postby JoeKan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I will download picts. When I get home. I'm hoping it's a SA

JoeKan

Postby JoeKan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:47 pm

SA 1.jpg
SA 3.jpg
Ok, here's the pictures. I can also load a video if that will help because it shows him using the front and back hydraclics and they look original to me. I don't think the hydralics were added on but if you notice in the picture, the emblem on the hood is "A" and not Super A. The video makes that part perfectly clear.
It's either an "A" and the guy was told it was a Super A or when it was restored they made a mistake and put the wrong emblem on.
What do you all think?
Attachments
SA 2.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Super A with the wrong stickers. Based on a few parts, it appears to be from at least 1951.

JoeKan

Postby JoeKan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks Jim. I need to be 100% certain because if I get this, it's going to be a 11 hour drive one way. What are the other parts you saw that made you decide it's a Super A?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 am

Battery ignition, tie rod ends, and lights are the parts that suggest 1951 or later. Although I hadn't noticed before I posted, it also appears to have a pressure cooling system that wasn't added until late '52. Besides the hydraulic system, the drawbar and final drive housings, and the fenders are all Super A.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:09 am

Honestly, if you're only using it to plow snow, and you have a narrow driveway, you might want to consider a Cub... with hydraulics. Even a Cub Lo-Boy makes a dandy snow mover, especially down where you are where you typically only get a few inches of snow at a time. I've used a Cub here in Buffalo, and it's no problem, until the snow gets piled up too high and you run out of space to push it. The nice thing about a Cub or Lo-boy is that they turn around in about 1/2 of the space that an A/Super A/ 100/130/140 will turn in. They also take up quite a bit less space, and are easier to transport, work on, etc., because everything is just a little smaller and lighter. My next tractor will be one of the A - 140 tractors, just because I want one, but the Cubs are fine machines too!

As others have said, there's no way I'd invest anything in a regular A, unless you just want to pull a trailer with it. No hydraulics basically makes it worthless for any ground engaging work. There's plenty of Super A - 140 tractors out there. There's 3 or 4 for sale right now here in Western NY, but there's also about a dozen Cubs. That seems to be the ratio.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:19 pm

gitractorman wrote:Honestly, if you're only using it to plow snow, and you have a narrow driveway, you might want to consider a Cub... with hydraulics. Even a Cub Lo-Boy makes a dandy snow mover, especially down where you are where you typically only get a few inches of snow at a time. I've used a Cub here in Buffalo, and it's no problem, until the snow gets piled up too high and you run out of space to push it. The nice thing about a Cub or Lo-boy is that they turn around in about 1/2 of the space that an A/Super A/ 100/130/140 will turn in. They also take up quite a bit less space, and are easier to transport, work on, etc., because everything is just a little smaller and lighter. My next tractor will be one of the A - 140 tractors, just because I want one, but the Cubs are fine machines too!

As others have said, there's no way I'd invest anything in a regular A, unless you just want to pull a trailer with it. No hydraulics basically makes it worthless for any ground engaging work. There's plenty of Super A - 140 tractors out there. There's 3 or 4 for sale right now here in Western NY, but there's also about a dozen Cubs. That seems to be the ratio.

Anytime one has a choice between a Super A/100/130/140 and a Cub, condition being equal go with the Super A. The wheelbase on a Super A is only about 2" longer than a Cub, so it won't turn much wider than a Cub. It's only about 7" longer overall and about that much taller assuming everything is stock. The only advantage the Cub has is light weight (between 900-1000 lbs lighter assuming no ballast) but I can't tell the difference with either one on the trailer. The 113 engine is much less finicky in my experience than the Cub, and people with normal size hands can work on it. I love my Cub but I won't ever buy another one unless it's a square nose long stripe. In fact I have been tempted several times recently to advertise it and get another Super A, but there are some jobs the Cub is just perfect for. Unless of course someone came along with an insane amount of money...... :wink:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.