Steering ball seats

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmcub31
Zip Code: 74015

Steering ball seats

Postby Farmcub31 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi guys I hope this is the right part name but I seem to be missing a steering ball seat on the center steering knuckle on my super a tractor. Does anyone know dimensions on this part or know of anyone that has a used set somewhere or someone who could make that on a lathe? I have the center one but on the left side of the middle steering arm knuckle its missing and makes the steering pull left because its missing I believe. I have half a mind to make a seat out of a nut and ream the center out and place it in there to take up that space but wanted to check on here first. Let me know your thoughts, thanks guys.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering ball seats

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am

If I'm not mistaken, the left side seat is the same diameter as the center, but is only dished on one side, and flat on the side facing left. The edge thickness would be the same...just not dished on both sides.

Then the center is dished on both sides, and finally the right adjustable seat is dished on the side facing left. If you have the center seat, I think you should have all the measurements you need.

Farmcub31
Zip Code: 74015

Postby Farmcub31 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks so much Dale. I was able to create one from some washers I reamed out and stuck them on one side and it took out all the slack. Thanks for the reply.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 am

Glad you got it worked out! One warning, based on experience...don't tighten down any of the 3 tie rod areas. I had just finished a SA rebuild, and had lightly snugged up the tie rod ends. The problem occurred when I turned the steering wheel to the left and right limits. One of the tie rod ends (brand new!) cracked.

Another forum member pointed out that the ball ends will wear to an oval shape, so when I turned the wheels, the larger dimension rotated in the socket and pushed out the end. :(
Had to order another new one.

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 am

Dale Finch wrote:Glad you got it worked out! One warning, based on experience...don't tighten down any of the 3 tie rod areas. I had just finished a SA rebuild, and had lightly snugged up the tie rod ends. The problem occurred when I turned the steering wheel to the left and right limits. One of the tie rod ends (brand new!) cracked.

Another forum member pointed out that the ball ends will wear to an oval shape, so when I turned the wheels, the larger dimension rotated in the socket and pushed out the end. :(

To fix the oval'ed balls, you can reshape them with grinder best you can; or do like I did and order some steel balls from McMaster Carr and cut the old ones off and weld new perfectly round ones on .
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am

Good idea! I even know a nearby "good 'ole boy" welder now!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:Glad you got it worked out! One warning, based on experience...don't tighten down any of the 3 tie rod areas. I had just finished a SA rebuild, and had lightly snugged up the tie rod ends. The problem occurred when I turned the steering wheel to the left and right limits. One of the tie rod ends (brand new!) cracked.

To fix the oval'ed balls, you can reshape them with grinder best you can; or do like I did and order some steel balls from McMaster Carr and cut the old ones off and weld new perfectly round ones on .

Can you post a link on those ball ends? A friend gave me some from who-knows-where a long time ago, but they must have been actual bearings and made out of kryptonite or something---regular drill bits wouldn't even scratch em!

This brings to mind an old Jerry Clower story but that's another discussion entirely...... :lol:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:56 pm

I will see if I can find the info. It has been a couple three years since I ordered them. I've done a Cub and a Super A and they've held up as far as I know. I let a machine shop cut the old ones off and weld them on . Heck I might have gotten the info on this forum If I remember correctly. Let me see.........
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Here you go guys.......viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75064&hilit=repairing+tie+rods

Hope this helps someone. Please post back with your results in do this modification and how it holds up or if it doesn't. This post is for a Farmall Cub. Now for an A and Super A I think the sizes are 7/8 inch. Might want to check that size because like I said it has been a while and I'm not certain.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com