Serial Tag Replacement Problem

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 pm

So I am considering replacing the tag with a new one since I was able to find a replacement two line one to match mine exactly, but how did you guys (who have replaced the serial tags) get the model number stamped on the plate? Mine has the model number screen printed looks like and the serial number is the only thing that is stamped/engraved into the tag.

All the reproduction serial tags I have found come completely blank, so I have no idea if there is someone who can print the model number on it before I get it engraved or if I just need to have the model number engraved on there as well. I want it to be as close to factory correct as I can, but finding someone to screen print, or whatever they used to put the model number on there, to do the work. I attached a picture of my 140's plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Serial Tag Replacement Problem

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:32 am

I'm not sure what technique was originally used to print the model number, but you might use rubber number stamps (scrapbooking supplies) and black enamel paint to stamp the numbers on.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:02 am

Check with tst he makes a decal that will lay over the old tag. They are cheaper & nice.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 am

I wouldn't replace it. It's in good shape, if anything I would get one of tst's overlay decals and call it done. I'm just squeamish of reproduction tags.

Al

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:57 pm

I pondered the overlays and I may get one and see how it goes. The picture doesn't show it well, but the original tag has a good many "pings" in it, little dents that somehow got there. Only reason I would consider replacement over a decal.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I have used TST's decals rather than replacing the tags when I can. They look great and "seem" to hold up well although I haven't had one on there for over a year and in a shedded environment. When I did the one like yours in the picture below, it looked JUST LIKE yours and was partially faded and had a dent or two. I simply scrubbed it well with some Acetone and let it dry. Once it dried, I applied the decal and pressed it firmly all over and around the rivets. I then took an exacto knife and trimmed it around the rivets to fit well. Looks great and surely adds that finishing touch!

kphoto 4.JPG

photo 1 %287%29.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Man that's a great looking tractor, I was going to paint the whole engine red but I'll paint my manifold black like that I suppose.

And I'll order the decal and give it a try. My plates pretty dented up but maybe I can get the decal to stick and conform to it.