This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fluid checks on a Farmall 140

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70514

Fluid checks on a Farmall 140

Postby Paul Bertrand » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Since I joined this tractor community, I've read threads about fluid checks and changes for the Farmall 140. I'm in the process of getting Operator and Service manuals for the 140 I just purchased, but with the knowledge and expertise of you members I found out everything I needed to know already. I read about the hydraulic fluid, transmission, and differrential (some called it bull gears or final drives) fluids. While checking the fluids on my 140 (which I was told is a '65 model,but all I see on the tag is 4805 J) I found two compartments that were not mentioned. They each have a pipe plug fill hole, drain plug, and a screwdriver type full plug. One is an "attachment" bolted above the PTO shaft, which appears to be used to run belt driven equipment. It is engaged with the PTO lever and turns in conjunction with the PTO shaft.The other is found just below and slightly to the rear of where the long axle housing bolts to the transmission housing. They seem to have their own oil. If anyone can give me info on these compartments it would be greatly appreciated.I will attempt to send photos of these.
I plan on using this tractor for gardening and need to break ground. I was cosidering using a two gang breaking plow (some call them twoway or offset plows), a double bottom plow, or a rotory tiller. Anyone wanting to put their 2 cents on the pros and cons of any of these please fell welcome to inforn me.
Also how heavy a plow can the hydraulics pick up? 5oo lbs?
Thanks, Paul

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Fluid checks on a Farmall 140

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm

The first one you mentioned is the gear housing for the belt pulley. It has a set of bevel gears inside. I can't think of the other one you described.

The differential is behind the transmission and shares the same fluid with the transmission. The bull gears are part of the finals. To make the distinction.

Pictures would definitely help lol

Welcome to the community Paul!
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks Mike! I tried posting pictures, but the site said they were too large. The transmission has HyTran, but I will replace it with gear oil. Once I start dropping oil, I'll be able to tell what shares the same oil. Thanks for your concern and help.
Paul

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Go to the top of this page and click on one of the "Manuals" links, either "PDF Manuals" or "Rudi's Manuals" depending on whether you want to look at a PDF or JPGs. On that page, select "Preventive Maintenance Manuals". You will then have a choice of 2 different editions of the Preventive Maintenance manual for Cub, 140, 240 and 340. Either one should tell you virtually everything you will need to know about lubricating your 140.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:03 pm

I've heard Hy-Tran is better than gear oil because it captures moisture, I run 90w-140 though lol.

Are you uploading pictures or are you linking them? You can email them to me if you can't figure it out. mwolak2694@outlook.com I can post them here
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 am

Jim Becker wrote:Go to the top of this page and click on one of the "Manuals" links, either "PDF Manuals" or "Rudi's Manuals" depending on whether you want to look at a PDF or JPGs. On that page, select "Preventive Maintenance Manuals". You will then have a choice of 2 different editions of the Preventive Maintenance manual for Cub, 140, 240 and 340. Either one should tell you virtually everything you will need to know about lubricating your 140.

Thanks, Jim
That is very helpful. I printed it.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Paul,

Maybe your tractor is equipped with a de-speeder of some sort?? I can't think of that other fill plug you're talking about either. You can email the pictures to anyone on the forum and they would gladly post them for you. Also, send some pictures of your 3 point setup because with you being from Louisiana it is possible it is made from an original 2 point hitch or toolbar hitch. Pictures always help us help you better
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:56 pm

I got the photos, the plug in question is the differential/transmission drain plug.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 am

You have some of the 1 point hitch still on the tractor. At least the rockshaft and bottom brackets.....maybe more of it that I can't see such as lift rod, helper spring, etc. At some point in time, someone removed the meat of the hitch and replaced with with a 3 point of some sort. Getting those missing parts and then getting some fast hitch equipment would be your best bet.

Also, if your serial number tag reads 4805 J, then your tractor is an "early" model......1959 to be exact. Originally that model had the horizontal bar grille, 6 volt charging system, and a "pull start" rod to start the engine.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks Al for the history of this tractor. I'm not into restoration (at least not now), just want to get this tractor in top shape to start a fall garden. The fluid change went well, thanks to all of you. I think I've solved my problem with the 3pt hitch. Should be getting a new 14"mouldboard with coulter and depth gauge next week. Fast hitch implements around here are like finding hen's teeth. I'm buying new for probably not much more than what original would cost. Will post more photos when the tractor is ready to go, hopefully a video of it plowing with the mouldboard. Mike, thanks for posting the pictures for me.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”