double molboard plow

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 am

The '59 model 140 has been coverted to 3pt. hitch. Looking at a heavy duty double moldboard plow with 3pt attachment weighing 500 pounds. Do you think the 140 can lift and pull this plow? Dealer says it might be to much for the 140. What do you all think?

Re: double molboard plow

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am

You got good answers over on the other site.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:31 pm

If those answers included, "No," "NO," and "h*** no," then they're good answers.

500lbs would be doing wheelies with that tractor. It has power and traction to pull ONE 16" bottom or two 12" bottoms if the going is good. Most 2-bottom 3pt hitch plows are 16" bottoms, and much heavier than the plows IH designed for this tractor.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 pm

This is a Super A, less power than a 140, but basically same model. Owner says it plows excellent. If the plow isn't too heavy, you'll be fine.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks to all for the advice. The moldboard plow sounded good because no moving parts or not much to go wrong. I'll try to find a lighter one, the weight is the big issue. I may have to go to a PTO driven 4' tiller instead to break ground, but more things to go wrong there. The picture of the Super A with the moldboards sure looked inviting. Again, thanks to all!

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:13 am

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think you will find a 4 foot tiller to be to much, especially if you plan to break ground with it. A 4 foot tiller would be a full load for a tractor the size of a super H, which is twice as big as the 140.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Also, does a 140 have a slow enough ground speed to use a tiller properly?

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Do any of you have any suggestions what would be best to use to break ground with this tractor? I do agree the 140 might have to much speed even in first gear for the tiller.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

To break fresh ground I do a wheel harrow/plow combo. If you just plow sometimes the grass on top will just flop right back over and nothing gets done. Tillers are good post-break when the dirt is already plowed up.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

havoc1482 wrote:This is a Super A, less power than a 140, but basically same model. Owner says it plows excellent. If the plow isn't too heavy, you'll be fine.

Assuming the pic shows the way the plow is attached as he operates it in the field, I would really like to see the plow in action.

Bill

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:This is a Super A, less power than a 140, but basically same model. Owner says it plows excellent. If the plow isn't too heavy, you'll be fine.

Assuming the pic shows the way the plow is attached as he operates it in the field, I would really like to see the plow in action.

Bill

I can ask, but he might not have a video, more pictures perhaps. I'll keep you posted. Not to steal the thread away from Paul haha

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 am

I am so happy about all the help and feed back I've gotton from this thread. You folks are amazing! Just wish I could find the right implements for this tractor. I know it can do it all, tillage, planting, and cultivating. Guess that's why it was called Farmall. Being this tractor was converted to 3pt hitch, I find all the new implements the right size are made for compact tractors, whose connecting arms go low to the ground.This 140 with the connecting arms all the way down are 19.5inches above the ground. It came with a one row cultivator (chisel plow type). When connected, and the draft all the way down, the teeth were 2 inches above the ground. A welder friend raised the connecting pins 11 inches, and now it can engage into the soil. I will find a solution to my problems, just hope I don't have to keep modifying implements. Again, thanks for alll the help and feedback.

Paul

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02 am

Paul Bertrand wrote:I am so happy about all the help and feed back I've gotton from this thread. You folks are amazing! Just wish I could find the right implements for this tractor. I know it can do it all, tillage, planting, and cultivating. Guess that's why it was called Farmall. Being this tractor was converted to 3pt hitch, I find all the new implements the right size are made for compact tractors, whose connecting arms go low to the ground.This 140 with the connecting arms all the way down are 19.5inches above the ground. It came with a one row cultivator (chisel plow type). When connected, and the draft all the way down, the teeth were 2 inches above the ground. A welder friend raised the connecting pins 11 inches, and now it can engage into the soil. I will find a solution to my problems, just hope I don't have to keep modifying implements. Again, thanks for alll the help and feedback.

Paul

The world seems to be full of half-%^*# 3-point conversions, either home-made or shop-built by someone that didn't understand how a 3-point hitch is supposed to work. It sounds like your hitch is one of them. Most of them work OK for carriers, mowers and the like. They barely function on something that actually has to go in the ground. On the original Ford-Ferguson 3-point, the lowered arms would just about drag on the ground, in fact they may have literally done so. If you want to keep trying to use that hitch, I suggest trying to modify the hitch rather than modifying more imlements. That may require essentially starting over.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Jim,
This appears to be a factory convertion kit. My son and I discussed the problem and he came up with the idea of making two 11 inch drop plates pinned to the two lower connecting arms and the emplements, instead of modifying the emplement. But that would put excessive force on the turnbuckle and probabably bend it. Unless I was to weld 2 stops, one below and one above each lifting arm, then all the pressure would be on the 2 lower lifting arms. Do you think that would work and solve the problem?
I would buy a IH one point fast hich attachment, but rarely see any new implements designed for that. Seems like I'm stuck in a rut, but I will get out! We Cajuns in South Louisiana have a knack for that, as well as anyone else in America. That's why we are the great country we are!
Any advise or suggestions or solutions will be GREATLY appreciated. I just hate seeing such a fine machine not being able to do what it was designed to do: FARM! Thanks Again,

Paul

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:43 pm

I would get rid of the three point hitch and then either go with the standard Super A drawbar or a fast hitch. Original lift arms are already there so the standard drawbar would be easiest. Then get a one bottom A-193 plow or a two bottom A-295 plow, or the corresponding fast hitch plow. Then find a disk harrow for it and you are good. There are good ones out there that were meant for the tractor. These add on three point hitches don't have any means of draft control and are going to be marginal pulling something like a plow.

Al