This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

It worked as advertised.

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

It worked as advertised.

Postby FarmallAddict » Sun May 09, 2021 2:08 pm

We got all the fluids changed in the C, got a new battery, closed up the carb, and it fired right up. It surged a little bit. I need to adjust the carb mixture a little and it should even out. We took it out with the c-295 plow and under load the engine purred right along nice and smooth. The new fan hub we installed had the fan blades tick against one of the other pulleys. With a pair of channel lock pliers and some angular persuasion it now runs nice and quiet. It's getting dry here and it was impressive with how easy it pulled the plow. The last items will be to get some new front tires and see how much it leaks when it sits now that everything is topped off. When I'm 70 I'll probably leak too.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03753

Re: It worked as advertised.

Postby Eric85 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm

Let us know how it goes

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Thu May 20, 2021 6:39 am

C's and Super C's have that beautiful sound and a nice ride and great handling

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Fri May 28, 2021 6:55 pm

I may have spoken a bit too soon.

One issue I'm still having is the engine wants surge even after cleaning the carb. When tried the plows the engine had smoothed out under load. I say "surge" but it feels like it drops out and then recovers instead of over revs when not under load. It has to be the bumper spring or something isn't right with the governor but I'm somewhat stumped. I tried adjusting the bumper spring but it didn't seem to improve anything. The set screw was turned in with only a couple threads left for the acorn nut so that could be the problem still. Maybe the spring is junk. So far I have changed all fluids, installed new spark plugs, new distributor wires, cleaned the points and rotor, I tried adjusting the carb to governor linkage. I guess I could be doing something wrong trying to set that up. If I put the throttle wide open then linkage is like an inch off. If it were truly that far off I would think the engine wouldn't even start or would run out of control. Some people have said put it to around 1/2 throttle to get a little spring tension on the govenor arm and when I do that it's was only off by a couple millimeters. I adjusted the linkage a couple turns to see if it started to improve but no luck. I know it at least runs now so I'm a little skiddish to go making major changes.

Should I try replacing the bumper spring altogether? Maybe I just need some clarification on how to adjust the governor linkage to the the carb. I took a video but it's way too large to post. It's about 40 seconds long and 80 mb. Heck it could be a carb issue still. It seems to not be quite as bad when it's idled down.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”