This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

top speed of a farmall super c ?

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Cub 1948 wrote: "I know when I was bringing our Farmall C home the other day, My Mother clocked it at 15 mph, on the flat and going down hills at 25mph. for one reason, I push in the clutch down hills,lol."

The tires were not in that bad of shape back in 1991. they only got that way from sitting out side over at a friends house for about 10 years. My Late Father loaned the tractor to him, See the C belong to my Father, But now he has past on I brought the C home. Because Ron was not using it any longer, He has far more IH's then I do. He has like 35 now.

F-12,14,20,and 30
Five H's
460 High Crop
M & SM
and many more.

Len.

Excuse me, but your late father must be rolling over! He surely wouldn't approve of such recklessness. Imagine your mother having to watch the wreck and then clean up the mess! :roll:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:29 am

I agree, pushing in the clutch going down hill with a bad tire? Wait a couple of months then read this thread. See if you change your mind. I used to think that I was invensible. Now that I am married and have a son, I do not want to become invisible.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 am

Cub 1948 wrote:Well I've done it in the past many times with my Cub, and I always have my other foot on the brake, heres a picture of the tire.

Len.

That tire is screaming "go slower, not faster!". It's definitely not a road gear tire. Posting that picture, you answered your own question of why you would use a trailer for only five miles.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Cub 1948
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub 1948 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 am

Lets get something straight, the tire was not in that bad of shape when I started out. it was in ok shape, It wasn't untill I got with less then a mile from my house when it started to look bad. That's when I shifted into Third gear, and I been driving tractor for a very long time. I grew up on a farm, so I know alot about them. and I'm sure you guy's are not as perfect as your putting on to be. And I'm sure you haven't read the oweners manual all the way through, because I haven't met a person that has yet, And I deal with the public every day. Working at Sears in the Lawn & Garden.

Len.
My Late Father worked for 41 years at a IH dealership C.Wilson & Son's Kimberton, Pa.
As a parts man.
we have in tractors:
6 Cubcadets: Original,70,104,680,682 and 782
1948 Cub,1950 Farmall C ,10-A Disk Harrow, Sun-Master C-48 Brush Mower

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:57 am

Len, folks here on the forum are not chastizing you. We are concerned for your safety. Sometimes ignoring questionable activity is construed as condoning it. We like our members to live long happy lives with all their body parts intact. Please don't misunderstand the intent of the advice being offered.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Len, quite frankly, you are scaring the heck out of me. I just hope that none of our younger members think it is OK to stretch the limits of safety -- especially on these older tractors.

History and many stories posted right here on this forum by the members, shows what can go wrong, often resulting in serious and fatal outcomes.

Dennis

Cub 1948
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub 1948 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:13 pm

My driving days for the C are over for a very long time for the tractor , is really in need of an over haul.

and I omit I was driving not right we all make bad judhements in life.

Take care all.
Happy Easter.
Len.
My Late Father worked for 41 years at a IH dealership C.Wilson & Son's Kimberton, Pa.

As a parts man.

we have in tractors:

6 Cubcadets: Original,70,104,680,682 and 782

1948 Cub,1950 Farmall C ,10-A Disk Harrow, Sun-Master C-48 Brush Mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Cub 1948 wrote:.... And I'm sure you haven't read the oweners manual all the way through,....
Being a technician for many years, I have read it all the way through, more than once. Unfortunately I do have a problem that I do not remember a lot of it and have to keep going back to it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:58 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Cub 1948 wrote:.... And I'm sure you haven't read the oweners manual all the way through,....
Being a technician for many years, I have read it all the way through, more than once. Unfortunately I do have a problem that I do not remember a lot of it and have to keep going back to it.

Reading or remembering the manual or not has little bearing or excuse for doing stupid stuff. Remember, it was common people with a lick of common sense who wrote the manual. Posting dangerous things that have been gotten away with is a poor example to set for those who don't have the example of 41 years of IH employment for a role model.

We've all done dumb stuff and gotten away with it. That's absolutely no excuse for advocating the same dumb stuff to others. We're here to help others enjoy their common hobby with us safely.

I'm sorry for coming down hard on the side of safety, but how can someone who truly cares do otherwise?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 pm

George Willer wrote:We've all done dumb stuff and gotten away with it.
I guaranty I have done things worse than that, but prefer not to say what. my intention was to point out it was not a good idea to drive with the clutch down, no matter the condition of the tires.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:08 pm

I put the tractors on a trailer just to go across the road!!!----That covers me for the liability issue!---plus if somebody hits me, the truck is a heck of a lot safer than an old open tractor at "x" miles per hour!----our equipment is not really covered UNLESS it's on a truck/trailer, and chained down.
Everyone do as they like, but I kind of like living, so maybe I do take extra precautions, but I survived 1 crash, and I sure don't want to just "ask" for another one! Respectfully,--sonny

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

How fast can you go on a tractor?

Postby KBP » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm

The correct answer is not very fast! Unless of course, you go over a cliff or high wall! Then you will find out that it will also stop very fast! Even the new tractors are not designed for speed. The best way to determine the fastest safe speed on a tractor is to look in the owners manual or(much less safe) take a tractor with no issues and run it on a flat, dry, and smooth long stretch of unoccupied road and put it in high gear and run at the highest recommended rpms and check it with the tractors speedometer or GPS. Remember this is even risky if you hit uneven ground or anything! Tractors don't have shocks and springs! Brakes are designed for LOW SPEED! Going faster than the recommended powered speed will over rev parts of the transmission, possibly overload the designed limits of the tires(they can blow apart even if they are new or perfect) and mess up your bearings throughout the tractor. (they are not designed for high speed) Buy a car if you want to go fast! You will live longer.

ih-cubcadet-man
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61957

Postby ih-cubcadet-man » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:57 pm

im not asking top speed, to go fast, are new tractor club is putting on a tractor drive , and minimum speed is 10mph,thats why i asking, we will drive through the scenic country, probly about 40 old tractors
1955 cub with fast hitch
1953 super c with fast hitch
1957 300 utility with fast hitch
1967 cub with fast hitch
and several ih cub cadets

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

How fast can my tractor go?

Postby KBP » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:33 pm

I had a Farmall Cub, JD B, AC C, AC WD, Ford 1710, Ford 1920 and now have a NH TN65D and a 1951 Farmall Super A. I don't think you will have any trouble with your C going 10 mph if the roads are smooth.(and your tires and brakes are good) Manytimes I have to run my tractors on the road quite far and I have to slow down below my maximun speed and gear down because of rough roads. You actually could be bounced off your seat if you hit a pothole at top speed! Most of the old tractors could easily go 10 mph if in good sound shape. Just go over your tractor to check for problems before you leave and be carefull! KBP

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”