This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super C (Update)

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Super C (Update)

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 am

My cousin calls me up two weeks ago, telling me he knows where a farmall cub is, just sitting on a fence row. He was hired to take an excavator and level an old barn which has started falling in on itself, and just do some general property clean up.
An old farmer had passed away about a year earlier and his two sons already have other careers going, and are probably going to sell the land. The sons that have hired my cousin said that they didn't want anything standing. He asked about a mid '60's Ford truck and this farmall sitting in the weeds. They wanted them gone, either push them into the burn pile, sell them for scrap, or just bury them, just get rid of them. So my cousin told them that I might be interested. By all means they said. Just come get it. They went on to tell him that their Dad really like the old tractor and had bought it in the late '50's, and used it regularly until the late '90's until he got sick. Just before it was parked....he had new sleeves put in the engine and a new clutch. Used minimally afterwards.....it was parked where it sits now. I went yesterday to look at this cub.........it wasn't a cub at all. Seems it's a "C"....maybe a super C. (don't know the difference). The tractor is intact, all sheet metal is there and straight. Lights are all there, (even the rear, with a separate red teardrop light), no busted lenses. All guages and switches are there, but the guages are either cracked or rusted up, theres even a guage of some sort up by the dual hydraulic levers. I suspect the engine is stuck, as the exhaust stack has rotted off, and I'm sure water has gotten to the top of the motor. The clutch and brake petals all moved, and the transmission shifted through all gears. The tires are all rotted, but the steering seemed ok....not much slack. All engine componets were there, no cracks anywhere on the tractor, however, there was no water in the radiator.....which may be a good thing. Seems it still has the 6 volt charging system.
My Dad and I are strongly considering this tractor. It's free for the taking, but will need a new gas tank,(if one could be found), new rubber all the way around, starter and gen, overhaul, head re-worked...if not more engine work. Lots of cleaning and paint. I welcome your comments, as I have no experience with anything larger than a cub. I think between my Dad and I we can do the work to get it going, (provided parts can be found). And....at times it would be nice to have something bigger than a cub around!
    Last edited by Harold R on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
    Team Cub Mentor
    Team Cub Mentor
    Zip Code: 43113

Re: Super C

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:09 am

Harold - C's and Super C's are pretty common (at least around here). Parts should be no problem and the price is definitely right. They are a nice sized tractor - not overly big and quite handy. I'd go for it.
    Bigdog
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
    Team Cub
    Team Cub
    Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:27 am

Why are you sitting there typing when you should be out hooking up the tailer? The C or Super C is a wet sleeve engine. If the cylinders are hopelessly rusted, you can probably just stick in a new set of sleeves and pistons. That and cleaning up the head may be all the engine will need.

Harold R
    Team Cub Guide
    Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:54 am

Why are you sitting there typing when you should be out hooking up the tailer?

LOL...OK. point well taken. Two minor problems. It's rained a lot past couple of days, and the tractor would have to be pulled out of the weeds a little, and I'm not sure my truck with street tires would do it, secondly, the rear wheels are set way out on this tractor, to the point where I couldn't get it on my trailer. I know they will slide inward to where it would fit, but I have to get it out of the weeds and figure out how they are adjusted. I may go out today and spray that area with some penetrant......may help when I can go get it. Perhaps I can get some pictures when I go do that.

artc
    Cub Pro
    Cub Pro
    Zip Code: 06457
    eBay ID: cmtelephone
    Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
    1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Why are you sitting there typing when you should be out hooking up the trailer?

ditto what Jim said. i'd be doing the :{_}: happy dance while i was hooking up.

we get things donated regularly to the Zagray Farm Museum and i can tell you that if you don't ast fast, things disappear. we had a D9 donated last fall in Ma. some guys went and looked - wont start - pony ran - took off injector pump for repair. removed blade and arms and transported to CT. winter came - come spring someone offered the lady $1000 for scrap. she took it :(
    'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
    http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Harold R
    Team Cub Guide
    Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Well, we went out to spray down the rear wheel hubs and took a chain in case we found the ground drier than anticipated. Of course it was soggy, but how could we not try to pull it off the fence row. After about an hour, we suceeded. Dad was already poking around under the hood. It did roll fairly easy, even with flats all way around. We found out it was dragging some type of middle buster...which didn't help pulling it out. :shock: The serial # is 1028XX, with 1815 rpm. I'm curious as to what the guage up on the hydraulic quadrant was for. Pressure? Quanity? Anyhow....you'll see that we have our work cut out for us. But......nothing ventured......nothing gained. 8)

http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=0&uid=314
    http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=1&uid=314
    http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=2&uid=314

Jim Becker
    Team Cub
    Team Cub
    Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

A 1951 Super C. The gage on the Touch-Control is a temperature gage for the Touch-Control. The sensor end is screwed in at the intake screen on the left side.

Pony Master
    10+ Years
    10+ Years
    Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:48 am

Go for it. It looks better than I expected after your description. Good Luck with it!
    1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
    1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
    1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
    1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
    1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Cub-Bud
    Team Cub Guide
    Team Cub Guide
    Zip Code: 38658
    eBay ID: Cub-Bud
    Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:35 am

Harold,

You and Mr. Jessie load that thing up and run like you stole it :!: :{_}: :{_}:

The both of you already know all that is needed to pretty-up that Super C. Just think of it as a big cub with a trike front end and better hydraulics. :wink:

I can't wait to see the pics when you two are done. And, at the rate y'all got that cub done I sold you, it will not be long. 8)
    "Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Dan England
    Cub Pro
    Cub Pro
    Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:00 am

Harold: Having seen the work which you and Jesse have done on Cubs, I have no doubt about the finished product. It will look and run like a new one. If I remember correctly, you were looking at a C a year or so ago? Well, now you have one. Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
    Cub Pro
    Cub Pro
    Zip Code: 63664
    Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:02 am

Harold, that sounds like a great find. Remember, on a C/Super C, the valves are in the head and not the block. even if the head is not salvageable, it probably won't be that expensive to fix.
    If you are not part of the solution,
    you are part of the problem!!!

Cub parts man
    10+ Years
    10+ Years

Postby Cub parts man » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:02 am

Harold Check aorund the barn if you can for some other parts like the battery box. The C will have a box and top the super c will have 3 parts 2 sides and a top. You got a nice tractor the grill looks good shape and that is a very hard thing to find that is in good shape. I would be able to help you with parts. When you start to work on it send me a email with a list and I will see what I have.

Norm

Festus
    10+ Years
    10+ Years
    Zip Code: 42355
    Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
    1953 Super C
    1953 Super H
    1953 Super M
    1956 100
    1964 140
    1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:07 am

If you get it home and decide you don't want it, you can always get out of it what you paid for it!! Heck, its worth getting even for the scrap price (Not that I'm suggesting you scrap it of course) I really like my Super C and am looking at another - but it costs more than yours.

Festus
    "When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Harold R
    Team Cub Guide
    Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 am

Looks as if the rain has set in for the day, so we won't be able to load it up and bring it home until next week. It is soaking with a lot of penetrant now, so hopefully when we get back to it, the keepers on the rear hubs will break loose and we can slide the rears inward to fit on my 8' trailer. I'm hopeful that JP's tractor parts will have the few items that we'll need. As far as the hydraulic temp guage, both the guage and the metal line are beyond repair. I'm hoping those are still in supply. The gas tank will have to be replaced and the rims were a concern, however, they look better than they do in the pictures, and should be able to be sandblasted and repainted. I was suprised to find the pan seat in good condition. Surface rust, but still plenty of metal there. The seat spring was broken though. As far as the engine, the manifold will have to be replaced, it was broke apart where the exhaust pipe screws in. The carb was intact, covered in gunk, but didn't appear to have been beat up like some of the cub carbs i've seen. So far....no major "uh-ohs" yet. :lol:

Harold R
    Team Cub Guide
    Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:30 am

When you start to work on it send me a email with a list and I will see what I have.

Thanks. 8) 8)

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”