This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super C (Update)

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super C (Update)

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:32 am

You can view the 2 petcocks as the "full" and "add" lines on a dip stick. If oil comes out the top one, it is full. If it doesn't come out the lower one, time to add some. They are back seating valves with left hand threads. Turn to the left to open, right to close.

Given the history, I'd start with the drain plug. Let the water out before doing anything else.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:08 am

The prognosis is that the engine is stuck.......really stuck! I took the head off, drained the two gallons of water out of the crankcase and filled each cylinder with penetrant. I put about two gallons of diesel back into the crankcase. I put the crank handle in and hung a cub rear wheel weight on it. It's been there for three days now with no movement. (I marked the front pully) Yesterday I did some moderate pounding with a wood block on the piston tops.....no luck there. Today I may have time to drop the oil pan, I suspect that the crank and rods are fused by rust. One odd thing I noticed, It seems as water ran through the cast iron manifold......it transfered some cast iron deposits into the clylinders, which bonded very well to the cylinder walls.....but not the pistons. The question I have for today......assuming that the sleeves and pistons are ruined, and I get no movement from the pistons to get them out, can I disconnect the rod caps and drive piston, sleeve and all, up from the bottom? If I'm not mistaken, sleeve pullers have to have an empty cylinder.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:01 am

I'm not sure why you would want to drive the pistons up. A stuck engine has to have a complete tear down. So go ahead and split the tractor, you'll have to anyhow, and get the engine on the stand where you can work on it. Laying on your back working overhead sounds like a bunch of skinned nuckles to me.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I talk of engine position as it would sit in the tractor. I would have no intention of doing a complete overhaul with the block still in the tractor. I would however replace piston rings, rod bearings etc if I could get movement to where pistons and sleeves could be removed conventionally. The engine had a fresh overhaul prior to being parked. I'm trying to ascertain what survived the long sit, and what did not.

I'm not sure why you would want to drive the pistons up.

I was under the impression that sleeves were top loaded only......If pistons were fused to the sleeves, take the rod caps off, crank out, and drive sleeve with stuck piston back out the top. (I know if on an engine stand you could rotate the engine upside down). Perhaps sleeves can be punched down through the bottom once the crank is out????

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Harold R wrote:I talk of engine position as it would sit in the tractor. I would have no intention of doing a complete overhaul with the block still in the tractor. I would however replace piston rings, rod bearings etc if I could get movement to where pistons and sleeves could be removed conventionally. The engine had a fresh overhaul prior to being parked. I'm trying to ascertain what survived the long sit, and what did not.

I'm not sure why you would want to drive the pistons up.

I was under the impression that sleeves were top loaded only......If pistons were fused to the sleeves, take the rod caps off, crank out, and drive sleeve with stuck piston back out the top. (I know if on an engine stand you could rotate the engine upside down). Perhaps sleeves can be punched down through the bottom once the crank is out????

You might could drive the pistons downward, but the sleeves must come up through the top. They cannot be driven downward.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:35 am

Well, after a week of soaking, tapping, soaking, pounding, and verbal abuse......the Super C engine wouldn't give in. Looking underneath, the engine stopped in a position where I can't easily get to one side of the rod caps to remove them, so, as some of you suggested, the engine has to be removed. On the plus side, when removing the hydraulic pump and lines, nice clear fluid ran out and the pump turned freely......so maybe no issues there that a kit won't solve. On the down side.....when I removed the govenor housing, I found the govenor to be one solid hunk of rust. I looks as if water had been standing in there, but I don't see how. The distributor side was rust free, but there was tons of grease where it fits to the back of the gov. and that served it's purpose well. So far....I haven't run into anything else that would keep me from thinking this tractor won't run again. :)

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”