This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter/flywheel Super C

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Starter/flywheel Super C

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Fellows I've been working this lil tractor all summer. It has done a fairly good job at running the disc plow, with the exception of once the dirt turns to powder, it doesn't quite want to pull in 2nd gear and I have to drop to grandma or straighten the disc a couple of notches.

My problem lies with the starter. It's been dragging all along and I decided to take it off and gave it rewound. Well, the starter is broken right where one of the bolts goes through it. It looks to have been broke a long time. Someone tried to repair it with JB Weld, instead of fixing it. As you can imagine, that starter being loose has caused the flywheel to be... Well let's find a good word. How about butchered? Ah it's not quite that bad, but you can just imagine what it looks like.

I'm now faced with a dilemma.

I'm not sure if that chunk off the starter can be repaired, plus they want close to 100 bucks to rewind it and I can buy a new starter off Ebay for just a tiny bit more.

What about the flywheel? Man, I'm just not comfortable trying to split the tractor, but I hate to just slap that starter back on without trying to fix it. Also, isn't the gear to the flywheel pressed on?

I'm looking for guidance and basically confirm that the flywheel needs replaced too.
:tractor: Its me, Ant-Knee :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: Starter/flywheel Super C

Postby artc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:03 pm

the flywheel gear is an interference fit. it can be driven off the flywheel easily with punches. new ring gears are available, so its not worth reversing the gear or moving it 120 degrees. i think i paid $20 for one for a 'B'.
reinstall it with a little heat to expand the gear.

so it takes 10 minutes to replace the gear........and 10 hours to split the tractor :) i would look closely at the clutch while i had it apart
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”