This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just bought a Super C... HELP!

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PaDeutzguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15324

Just bought a Super C... HELP!

Postby PaDeutzguy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi All...

Yesterday I picked up a Super C with cultivators and side dressers for my organic corn crops. I'm not a hippie radical... they just pay more for organics, so I do what the market demands! It fit between the fenders on the trailer with about 1/4 inch to spare for it's 5 hour long ride from Toledo, OH to SW PA.

We had a Super C when I was very little in the early 80's, and it was for cultivating the sweet corn. This one has dressers on it, and each bucket has two tubes, it has a splitter. It also came with the sheilds for the corn rows, and all new shovels.

Where is the serial number? It should be under the seat, but the tag is gone, it is stamped somewhere?

It has some kind of suspension seat on it that's badly worn, and will just fall over backward into the tool box as the strap is rusted thru. I want to convert it to just the regular, as I remember it, steel seat with the big cone shaped coil spring. Anyone have one??

It has the round fiberglass bins for the dressers, were those factory? They look to be the same ones we had on the IH 56 planter we used to have. I need the lids if someone has them or reproducing them?

I've seen these cultivators on restored tractors and they are always blue... are they IH or aftermarket? I see some blue paint in places on these ones.

I'll post pictures tomorrow... someone along the way painted it with a paint brush in a lighter red... ugh. I'll repaint it this winter, but it's going to be a working machine, so it has to earn it's keep for now.

FYI... this guy is selling 2 more SC's... one is exceptional condition, I didn't see it run, and the other has been sitting out back, not bad looking but the exhaust has been open to the weather for 2 years, I put a bucket over it when I was there. He also has an A or SA all rusting up and 2 140's with cultivators. I can pass his info along if someone wanted to look at them in NW Ohio.

Thanks for your help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just bought a Super C... HELP!

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm

I don't know anything about C's, but welcome to the forum....from another PA guy.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 am

If the serial number tag is gone from the tool box, you are pretty much out of luck in determining the actual serial number. You can determine the year from the casting codes, http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_004.htm , but that is as close as you'll be able to get. If the person you bought it from was the original owner, they may still have some records that include the serial number.

Welcome to the forum. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:40 am

As Don said, without the tag on the side of the original tool box or some document from the original owner, you won't find the serial number. If it has the original engine, I may be able to narrow down a general range from the engine number. The engine number is stamped into the block, roughly below spark plug #1. The number will NOT be the same as the seial number.

A lot of Cs have been parted out. There must be an original style seat out there.

IH changed from galvanized to fiberglass fertilizer hoppers on all their planters. I think the change was probably after your machine was made. So the hoppers, or at least the fiberglass parts have been replaced. They are probably IH-built replacements.

Without doing research, IH cultivators for that tractor probably had red mounting frames and blue tool bars. Most shanks, standards etc. were black. You probably have an IH cultivator but it may have some aftermarket tooling. Aftermarket parts would be whatever color the individual company selected. The fertilizer units were mostly red, hopper and fertilizer tubes unpainted.

PaDeutzguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PaDeutzguy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the help! I'm going to get some pictures here after lunch and see if I an locate the tab on the tool box, I was looking for it on the housings. May be it's there.

Roninpa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15330

Postby Roninpa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I thought the serial no. would be on a tag on the bell housing like my 230. I never heard of them being on the seat mount. ron

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

PaDeutzguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PaDeutzguy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I went out to look at the toolbox... ha it's plastic, but my seat mount looks nothing like the one pictured, but I want to get one like the one pictured. I did see the engine number under plug #1, but I didn't get the clean it off today to look at it. http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/PAdeutzguy/ This should be a link to the pictures... I couldn't get them to post here, they were too big of files.

Thanks for the info on the cultivators.

Thanks for your help.... Randy

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 am

That seat setup is clearly not original. Unfortunately, your serial number tag is long gone. :(
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:42 am

Hey ,,,no fair stealing tractors out of OhiO!!! haha!!! Wish I had room for a C!!! PICS!!!! Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:42 am

What are you doing up at 0342?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:43 am

Same as you Don!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

PaDeutzguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PaDeutzguy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 am

Hey... all's fair in Love and Tractor buying... LOL. It will have a nice home here. My 3 year old daughter says it's hers and she's going to paint it pink... trust me that's not happening. I have to wonder how many kids have played around it before, the stories it could tell. No real matter on the serial number... I was just curious what year it was. I will use it as is this summer and this winter it will come in the shop for a light restoration, as it will continue to cultivate the corn, hopefully for the rest of my life, I'm 32, so it's not retiring anytime soon. The National Steam and Gas show is about 15 minutes from me, so I'll take it up there to display in August.

What's that seat assembly I need worth when I find one?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 pm

I see the seat assemblies on eBay frequently. Keep your eyes open and you'll find one. I'll be looking for your tractor at Brownsville. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”