This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

It was one of those days

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783
Circle of Safety: Y

It was one of those days

Postby 1541 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Yesterday was one of those days that nothing seemed to go right. I had the C all hooked up to the 5' x 10' landscape trailer to run out to my cousin's farm for a load a manure for the garden. I got about two houses up the road then a loud bang and water everywhere. The rim that I knew was going bad and was going to replace this summer decided that now was the time to quit. I was able to turn around and limp back home. Luckily it happened close to home and not halfway between home and the farm or with a load.

Never fear, I decided I could just take the plow off of the cub move the ball hitch and I would be good to go. A little slower trip but I will make it. Well the shank on the ball was too large for the cub drawbar. And the ball I use on the cub was too small for the trailer. Off to the local auto parts store I go and there was nothing in stock with the smaller shank. Then I remembered that the swinging drawbar that came with the tractor back in 1973 was still in mom's garage. We never used it since we never had the cross bar for it. However, two years ago Ralph had set me up with the cross bar and I knew where it was in my old garage. Dang the luck the hole on the swinging drawbar was also too small. Since it was still off of the tractor I took it back to the auto parts store and we drilled it out. So I was good to go. After that everything went well.

The cub did a good job with the load and even pulled all of the hills in 3rd. With everything going on I didn't think to take any other pictures. The 6 mile round trip wasn't an epic journey like one of Yogie's. However it was a fun and scenic drive.

Doug

PS: Currently looking for a good rim for a Farmall C 9x36 I believe.

Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: It was one of those days

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey Doug, that sounds like a lot of manure if you were to ask me! :lol: It seems like nothing goes wrong with anything until you really need it. At least you had more seat time than you expected and you got everything home safely.

Thanks for sharing.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun May 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Doug, I have a pair of 11.2x36 nice tires on a parts C. A set of weights on it also. Whole tractor for parts is available.

Dale

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sun May 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Doug,
I would say that you got your moneys worth out of that rim. It is used up. :big what:
"I ain't believing this!"

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Doug, I read your post and couldn't help but think, "What a load of c..." :lol: :lol:

Glad it al worked out for you. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

Quote from 1541 , "Well the shank on the ball was too large for the cub drawbar. And the ball I use on the cub was too small for the trailer. Off to the local auto parts store I go and there was nothing in stock with the smaller shank".

The larger balls with the smaller shank are almost a thing of the past. They are out there but getting harder to find due to the weight load being reduced a whole lot with the smaller shank. Pulling a light load with a small shank is fine but some folk don't realize the towing capacity is greatly reduced with the smaller shank. Also a lot more smaller trailers are being made with the 2" coupler and the 1 7/8 " are not as popular. A trip to a local Lowes and looking at the smaller trailers confirmed that. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon May 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Miller Tire in Ohio might have a rim that can be made to work. Sometimes the clips from the old one must be welded to the new, things like that. Miller has for many years delivered prepaid orders to major shows, no freight cost.
Luck favors those who are prepared

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Re: It was one of those days - Update

Postby 1541 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Well I poked around some bone yards and followed some rims on eBay and found out that I could get a new rim from my local tire dealer (Newlon Tire) for not much more. They carry http://www.unverferth.com/ made right here in Ohio. I picked up that nice brand new shiny rim, and decided that the rusted cast center would look really bad with the new rim. So I pulled it off and spent and little quality time with the center, a steel brush, some primer and a couple of cans of spray paint. Willie came by tonight to help me put it all back together and he took it out for a test run. Now if the rest of the tractor looked just as good. Now the C and the Cub will get washed and ready for the Antique tractor show during our local 4th of July Community Celebration on Saturday.

Doug

Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 pm

You sure do know how to keep Willie busy. Maybe you can convince him the rest of the tractor would look good if it matched the wheel. Just make sure Santa is good to him this year too. Good friends are priceless and Willie is definitely a good friend.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Doug:

Rim and center look greaaaat :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:44 am

Nice!!!!! I had a company do my tire when the inner tube went.Had to have the rim welded up[holes in it] Take off ,come out twice ,calcium and tube $150.00.That was on my H.To big for me to try at the time.kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”