Switch to full style
Farmall C & Super C Tractors, 1948-1954

Forum rules

Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Post a reply

Sealed Beams on SC

Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Any suggestions for a source of the sealed beam headlights used on the 1953 Super C???? I found a couple places online but the price seems exorbitant.

I checked the bulbs with an ohm meter and it reads "0" which indicates the filament is broken. Thanks in advance. :D :D

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 am

I have no source for less expensive sealed beams.

I thought I would replace the burnt out and broken sealed beams on a Cub Cadet. $25 to $30 for one head lamp at the auto parts store and needing two. They didn't get replaced.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 am

Zero olms (resistance) would indicate a good filament, high numbers would mean bad bulb. No voltage (or light) when wired to power source would indicate bad bulb. Does your Volt-Ohm meter have an audible continuity function? It would beep if making circuit (good bulb).

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am

Zero Ohms = no continuity = broken filiment. Higher Ohms = continuity = filiment ok.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

I guess it depends on your point of view but zero ohms always meant continuity. Or in other words: an electrical path. Infinity or very high ohm readings indicated an open circuit.
Wire (theoretically) would have zero ohms.
I think the terminology gets turned around sometimes because the older analog meters read right to left for ohms. A dead short such as touching the leads together would give a full scale reading and an open would give no deflection of the needle (interpreted as zero?)

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 am

Vince, is your SC 6volts, or has it been converted to 12? I found some of the small sealed beams at TSC, Wagner brand, but they were 12 volt. $14 a piece if I remember correctly.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:52 pm

danovercash wrote:Zero olms (resistance) would indicate a good filament, high numbers would mean bad bulb. No voltage (or light) when wired to power source would indicate bad bulb. Does your Volt-Ohm meter have an audible continuity function? It would beep if making circuit (good bulb).


Sorry, I probably said it incorrectly. I used a digital volt meter to check the filiments. I used the ohm setting to check the continuity. An audable signal would have indicated the filiment was good but I got no tone - indicating the filiment was broken.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Harold R wrote:Vince, is your SC 6volts, or has it been converted to 12? I found some of the small sealed beams at TSC, Wagner brand, but they were 12 volt. $14 a piece if I remember correctly.


Harold, mine is still 6-volts. I will check with TSC and see if they have any reasonably priced bulbs available. Thanks for the tip. :D :D

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 pm

A few years ago I purchased 3 of the sealed beam conversion kits from Tom at TM for my 55 cub. It came with all the parts to convert the sealed beam to the old style. I haven't seen them listed for a while. The kit was about the same price as a sealed beam and if the bulb ever goes bad, all I have to do is get a new $3.00 bulb.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:52 pm

cubbrian wrote:A few years ago I purchased 3 of the sealed beam conversion kits from Tom at TM for my 55 cub. It came with all the parts to convert the sealed beam to the old style. I haven't seen them listed for a while. The kit was about the same price as a sealed beam and if the bulb ever goes bad, all I have to do is get a new $3.00 bulb.

Yeah I loaded up on them and just didn't get enough before Tom discontinued the kits. :(

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I think those kits are still sold by Pilot Knob Restorations--they advertise in Red Power.
Mike

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks guys, I will follow up on the leads. :D :D

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm scratchin' my head here, but I think if a guy was determined enough, you could do your own conversions using the existing burnt out sealed beam. If I remember right, those sealed beams are nothing more than a reflector with a socket and bulb, and then a lens is glued on. If you can get the lens to let go from the reflector, you can then change out the bulb. A new rubber gasket for the sealed beam should finish the job.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a closer look. I thought they were actual sealed beam bulbs, like the headlights on cars used to be.

Re: Sealed Beams on SC

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Vince are they the pancake style or the round style?
Post a reply