This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trying to save a Super C

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03753

Trying to save a Super C

Postby Eric85 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:28 pm

I have my fathers Farmall Super C which has been in the woods/mud for the last 20 years and I want to save it.

I have moved it out of the mud to a better spot for the winter, still outside hoping to get it inside in the spring to start work on it.

So far I have two questions.

1) While I was towing it out of the mud it was in neutral but the tire on the right rear side was not rolling at all. The other one was and so was the two front ones.
I'm thinking the brake might be rusted/frozen up. Does that sound like a good place to start or could it be something else?

2) I pulled the spark plugs and but some marval mystery oil down each cylinder. But while I was looking things over I opened up the oil overfill/ oil level check on the left side of the motor and nothing came out. If there is no oil in it I would like to put some in for the winter. Any recommandations on the type of oil to have sit in there over winter?

Also does any know of where I can get a service manual for this tractor?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Trying to save a Super C

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Eric:

Congrats :applause: on trying to save your Dad's Super C. Nice to be able to keep it in the family and running good. I happen to have these manuals on the manual Server:

and these ones that include the Super C

Unfortunately I do not have the Service Manuals for if but Binder Books does :D

Farmall Super C Built from 1951-1954 - Serial numbers 10001-198310 with the C-123 engine. List Price

1004315 Farmall Super C Tractor Operators manual, 98 pages $21.95
TC-44B Farmall Super C Tractor Parts Catalog. 234 pages $34.95
GSS-SCSet Service Manual Set (includes Chassis GSS-5031,, Engine GSS-1295J and Touch Control, GSS-1024 Service manuals). $57.95
GSS-1295J Engine & Fuel System Service Manual for C-123, C-135, C-146 and C-153 Engines, 106 pgs. C-123 engine $24.95
GSS-1024 Touch Control Serviceman's Handbook for Farmall Cub, Super A & AV, C and Super C Tractors, 32 pgs, 1/2 size $16.95
GSS-5053 Clutch Service for McCormick Deering 15-30, 22-36, Model 20, Model 30, Farmall Regular, F-20, F-12, O-12, W-12, F-14, I-14, O-14, W-14; Farmall A, AV, B, BN, C, H, HV, I-4, W-4, M, MV, MDV, W-6, WD-6, I-6, ID-6, W-9, I-9, ID_9; Also Crawler Models T-20, T-35, TD-35, T-40, TA-40, TD-40, T-6, TD-6, T-9, TD-9, T-14, TD-14, TD-18 and Power Units U-2, IU-4, U-4, U-6, UD-6, U-7, U-9, UD-9, U-10, U-014, UD-14, UD-18, U-21. Originally printed as CHS-62; 76 pgs. $21.95
CHS-12 Clutch Adjustment for Farmall Super A, Super C and Farmall H & M Tractors, 8 pages $ 8.95
GSS-5035 Magneto service for IH Models F-4, F-6, E4A, H-4, H-1, AP, H and AH, EK Wico Magnetos and Dixie and Aero Splitdorf Magnetos; (originally published as CHS-27); 80 pgs. $21.95
FCI-1A Parts Catalog, for Implements for use the Farmall C & Super C Tractors, 930 pages $83.95
FCI-2 Parts Catalog for Implements used with Farmall Super C Tractors, equipped with Fast Hitch, 116 pgs. $24.95

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 am

Eric, I'd say you are on the right track with breaks being locked if the other side is rolling. How dos the pedal feel? As far as oil is concerned, since it has sat this long without oil I would not worry about adding any until you are ready to crank it over. Having oil in it now will not be lubricating any thing. It will just go to the bottom and sit there. If you do add oil you will be okay using whatever you run in your car/truck in the winter.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Loosen the engine oil drain plug slightly and see what comes out. PM me your postal address and we'll see if we can't get you a manual or two. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 am

Thank you all for the replies and the good info.
I'm looking forward to getting back out there this week to do what I can
before the snow hits.
I will keep things updated as I go along.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Since the Super C has the oil fill through the valve cover, putting some oil in there might be useful to lubricate the top end. It is not necessary to bring the oil level up to full, because it will just be sitting in the pan. Only what manages to stick to the valve train when you dump it in will be useful.

I almost think some Marvel Mystery Oil would be the way to go. It might even behoove you to actually pull the valve cover and apply the oil directly to the valve train, just pour it on like gravy on a turkey dinner plate.

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

This weekend I plan on doing some more Mystery oil. I will also loosen up the oil drain plug to see if anything comes out.

I was also thinking about taking a look at the brake that I think might be stuck. I'm thinking of jacking up the right rear tire then loosening the adjusting nuts for the brake and see if that helps at all. If not and I do pull the brake cover off is there going to be parts and pieces that fall out or is it made to all stay together so you can inspect and see how it works?
Should I spray any PB blaster in there to help free things up?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am

As I recall, the brake assembly should come off as a unit and not fall apart. Of course, if it is rusty enough to be stuck, it may be rusty enough to fall apart too. In that case, you probably have nothing to loose if it does fall apart. Depending on how/where it is stuck, the PB may not get far enough in to do any good, but you have little to loose by trying. I would be tempted to loosen the adjusting nuts then do some gentle tapping on the end of the rod to see if that shakes anything loose. Go easy on it, no point damaging the rod.

On the engine oil topic, there is a deflector inside the rocker cover that directs oil to the side as it is added. You will need to pull the cover to get any oil directly on the rockers or valves.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 am

If I had room, I would move the tractor inside.

I would drain the differential and transmission, actually all fluids. Need to remove accumulated water, prevent from freezing.

Once inside, pull the head and pan, since tractor has been sitting outside for 20 years. Inspect for condition.

I wouldn't spend any money or work on the brakes or any other part of the tractor until I found out if engine repair was economically feasible.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Is the engine stuck or loose?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Not sure if the engine is froze up or not, I would like to try and figure that out.
Tonight before dark I was able to jack up the right rear tire and block it up off the ground.
My thinking was to look into the brakes and see if I can get the tire spinning.

Some things came to mind when I was jacking up the tire.

How get I see if the engine will turn over?

I thought I read somewhere that you can jack up the right rear tire and put the tractor in 4th gear then try and turn the
wheel. Would that work or would I have to have both rear tires off the ground?

Or would it be possible to engage the PTO and turn that by hand some how?

I don't have a hand crank so I'll have to find some other means of trying it.

Tomorrow I'll see what I can find out on the brakes. Thanks again.

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:02 pm

So I worked on the brake today.
I got it apart and cleaned things up, it was full of dirt and rust. Now the wheel is spinning freely.

One question I have is when put things back together the wheel turned both forward and backward but
then it stopped going backwards? It will still spin to the right (forward) but not backwards. Does that seem
right?
The brake now works stopping the wheel when it is spinning forward. I'm just concerned if something
else might be wrong.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Stomp on the brake pedal a couple times then try it again. The center section, the part made of 2 big disks with the ball ramps in the middle, may be hanging some and not quite releasing. One side of it self energises going one way and the other side does the same going the other way. You may be getting that effect from a drag on one side.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Eric85 wrote:Not sure if the engine is froze up or not. I thought I read somewhere that you can jack up the right rear tire and put the tractor in 4th gear then try and turn the wheel.
Jack up only one rear wheel. Jacking up both wheels will only turn the differential and opposite wheel.

Since tractor moves just put in 4th gear and rock tractor forward and backward. Don't put a whole lot of effort into seeing if the engine is stuck. Expect engine to be stuck, perhaps rusted solid.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Wheel should spin freely in both directions. This tractor can't have a TA so there's nothing "normal" in the transmission or rear end that could be causing the "wheel turns forward only" problem.

It has to be related to the brake.

Take the brake back off and try it without the brake installed.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”