This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Super C zenith carb b1

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
trycolin
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 23111

Farmall Super C zenith carb b1

Postby trycolin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:40 pm

any ideas how to stop the float needle with the black tip from sticking. Float moves up and down but needle does open much if at all. Very little air gets through if blow into gas input fitting.
Crank handle wearing me out from fooling with this thing. Have had carb apart 1/2 dozen times with new kit installed the first time.
Needs rebuilding starter but that will only come after can get it running.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Super C zenith carb b1

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 pm

trycolin wrote:any ideas how to stop the float needle with the black tip from sticking.

Replace it with a steel or brass needle.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 pm

The permanent fix is as Don stated.

In the mean time. Manually drop the needle valve and run a can of carb cleaner through the fuel system. Also, when finished working the tractor for the day, shut off the fuel at the gas tank and let the tractor run until it starves, shuts off. ((Turn off the ignition.))

Cub Cadets use the Viton needle valve. Typically after sitting all winter the needle valve is stuck. Once unstuck, there is no problem during the mowing season.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm

typically on a Zenith there is a little wire clip that connects the needle to the float arm and pulls it down when the float opens. Yours may be missing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

trycolin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby trycolin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 pm

You're right John! There is no clip to pull the needle down when the float goes down. Think I can make one or will I have to buy a another $25 rebuild kit.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 am

Give these folks a call and see if they have what you need...

http://www.mcdonaldcarb.com/default.asp
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

trycolin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby trycolin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 am

Excellent recommendation Don. Have contacted them and they are sending me a new needle, seat, and spring clip. They sound like good people. Have added them to my favorites list for future use. Thanks.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:26 am

trycolin wrote:Excellent recommendation Don. Have contacted them and they are sending me a new needle, seat, and spring clip. They sound like good people. Have added them to my favorites list for future use. Thanks.

Good choice. I buy all my carb stuff from them. In fact, time for me to give them a call and stock up :-)
Thomas

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 am

How to keep the black rubber (or Viton?) tip from sticking is a question for the ages.

There is no good answer that I'm aware of.

All metal tips are rarely available. The only place I know of that sells them is TM tractor, and then only for the IH Cub carb.

I have heard that you tap the needle into the seat to set the shape of the needle, but I have also heard that you are not supposed to do that. So, I dunno.

I've done it both ways, and had problems both ways. My Super H was "seated" and drove me nuts for months with the sticking. Now it works fine.

I've got a brass needle from TM in my '67's carburetor. It doesn't seal worth beans, and will dribble 7 gallons of gasoline on the ground, at an almost imperceptible rate, over the course of a few months.

The viton needle in the '53 Cub seems to work perfectly out of the box.

The viton needle in my Super A on the other hand randomly likes to not seal up and start peeing gas on the floor...

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”