This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super C died

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super C died

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09 pm

LincTex wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:If he did, that will be another thing to fix.

Jim, Why would you say this?
I have been cleaning points with 400-600 grit "wet/dry" sandpaper since the late 70's and have never had an issue.
I far prefer it to a points file. It works better than anything else I have ever used.

Previous discussion:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88678

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes, I read that. It is simply "Hearsay" and nothing more.

Although it sounds theoretically possible, ignition points are made of tungsten (not lead, or any other soft metal) and grit will not become "embedded" in them.

I've been using black "Wet/Dry" paper on ignition points for over 30 years with great success.
Until you can prove otherwise with facts, I am going to proclaim this "opinion" as a myth that is "Busted".

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:35 am

Points may be made of tungsten, or may not. They could be any of several alloys. In a high quality point set, the two contacts may not be the same material. In today's market, I'm sure they use whatever is cheapest. This is all beside the point anyway.

As far as proving what I said, I suggest you look at any of several service manuals that IH or Delco published. These are all available via the manuals links at the top of this page. For a start, take a look at GSS-1012. It is dated 4/27/55, after IH had 50 years or so of experience with ignition points. Most service manuals just tell what to do, rarely bother listing things to NOT do. However, right here on page 9 is says "Never use emery cloth or sandpaper to clean points."

While in this manual, see what it says about points inside a voltage regulator. same thing, even underlined it this time.

That is all just in one manual. Lets check another, FOS-20 page 6-14. This time they put the whole sentence in boldface.

How about checking a Preventive Maintenance Manual? This one is dated 6/13/58. Maybe they learned something in the 3 years since GSS-1012. Still there, boldface added to the warning in the ignition section.

So there it is, specific instructions from the manufacturer. I didn't make it up. It isn't my opinion. It isn't a myth. Maybe you have had "great success" for 30 years. Maybe you just never recognized the source of later problems. Some people have 30 years of experience. Others have one year of experience thirty times.

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:26 pm

That's interesting, Jim.
Thanks for posting those pages, it's good information.

I wonder if it just applies to the points in a voltage regulator.... If you ever watch them in operation, they really never get a regular gap like ignition points do. I have HONESTLY never had a problem using wet/dry sandpaper on ignition points.

I have never bothered with getting bad generators and voltage regulators working again once they quit.... I have actually been "recycling" generators for the last 30 years as well. I have been swapping everything over to an alternator since about '84 or so... and never looked back.

I like/prefer the external regulator style alternators (they don't use the same regulator as the generator) because I can use them to make 120 volt power on remote jobsites/out in the field.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:17 pm

It is probably more critical in a voltage regulator. When a battery is fully charged, the voltage control contacts cycle pretty quickly.

Of the 4 manual pages above, only the second one is a regulator page. The other 3 are all talking about ignition points.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”