This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 200 Replaced Starter and still no start

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55328

Farmall 200 Replaced Starter and still no start

Postby CumminSHO » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 am

Hello and good morning,
I am new to this forum and I appreciate all responses. I have a Farmall 200 and it has been sitting for a while. So I threw the battery charger on it and wanted to see if it would tip over. The starter will spin but will not engage the flywheel. So I sent it to a local shop that rebuilds starters, generators, and alternators. I installed the new starter and I am still having the same problem. I checked the inline fuse and it is good. I feel as if I am missing a very simple problem. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 200 Replaced Starter and still no start

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 am

There are only a few parts that can have any effect on your problem. They are the battery, the heavy cable from the battery to the starter switch, the starter switch, the starter, the ground connection from the starter through the bell housing and instrument panel, and the ground cable. Note that describes a full loop from the battery back to the same place. No other parts of the tractor are involved.

Did you try testing the starter with a battery and jumper cables before bolting it back on? Have you taken any measurements with a volt meter? Do you have a volt meter? With a little more information we can give you more help. In the meanwhile, I suspect your problem is either a bad cable or a poor connection. A cable can sometimes look OK but be deteriorated inside the clamp or insulation where it can't be seen. The poor connection can be anywhere along the loop. Pay particular attention to the ground cable connections. In the stock arrangement, the ground cable connects to the back of the battery box and into the instrument panel. That connection is often the problem. If a visual check and clean-up of the connections doesn't solve the problem, post back some details and we can go from there.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:49 am

Jim put you on the right trail, the first thing I would do is remove the starter and run it with battery cables on a bench. The starter is engaged by the starter spinning up suddenly and spinning out the gear on the end. If the starter spins up slowly it will not work, if the drive is stuck it will not work, or if it is the wrong drive (there is a right and a left turning drive) it will not work. I have seen people put the wrong drive on a starter and not realize it. Note, when you connect it have a good hold on the starter, it will try to spin around. Another less likely problem would be some teeth broken off ring gear on flywheel or the ring gear coming loose, but that is very rare, and can be checked by simply turning the engine a little and trying again.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:38 pm

I appreciate the responses guys. You guys definetly pointed me in the right direction. I did take the starter off again to make it was spinning and it was. The shop did a good job with the rebuild and at a good rate. Meanwhile during me testing the starter I left the battery charger on the battery since it was a new battery to try to resurrect it. I paned the starter back in and it started tipping over slowly and faster and she fired. Thank you for the help. Now the next question is... she had a slightly miss at higher rpms but is starting to smooth out. I'm sure it likes the fresh fuel. Spark plugs are new. My dad told me there is a bolt for water valve. What else could be an issue? And does anyone have access to a manual or know where to get one? Thank you

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't think there are any manuals for the 200 here on the Forum. Someone may have one that they can look at for you. Binderbooks.com has them.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Awesome website and very helpful. Thank you guys. I am very excited to see how much I can do with this 200. Any other helpful tips are always appreciated. Thank you all again.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:42 am

Go to the PDF Manuals link at the top of the page. Near the bottom of the page is an entry for "Super C Manuals". The Super C information will be very close to the 200 and should address most questions. I still recommend going to Binder Books and getting the correct one.

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:11 am

The "high speed miss" is likely one of three things:

1) water in the fuel (10% ethanol fuel is bad for this)
2) residue built up in the main fuel jet (usually requires an entire carb disassembly & clean-up anyway)
3) a weak spark

Try fresh fuel first. If you have 10% ethanol fuel that is over 30-60 days old it likely has absorbed enough water to cause problems. Drain & refill.

If that doesn't do the trick, perform a good thorough carb clean job. Use a very small wire to get all the passages clear. Make sure the main jet is clean. Make sure the sediment bowl screen & main fuel line flows clean & clear with good flow. Also, There's a tiny screen in the carb inlet elbow that many folks don't know is there!

If none of that works, then it's time to see if you have ignition problems.

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Based off your information I would presume it would need some carb attention. I don't have a lot of carb work in the past, so this is a weak spot for me. I am in the process of getting a service manual which will help a lot. But I appreciate the heads up on those tips. Whatever I can do make my life easier.

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 pm

These carbs are as simple as they come, and are a great "starting point" for beginners.
The only problem I have really seen beginners have is when they are starting off with a carb that has missing parts from a previously "engineered" rebuild! :x (I guess the same principle applies to anything mechanical)

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:01 pm

I like easy. I appreciate the help and tips for all. I'm sure that this tips will get the job done.

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Update:
So after farting around with the 200. I was pulling of the spark plugs while it was running. The rear 2 cylinders spark plugs were taken off it wouldn't miss while they were off. Then while the front 2 plugs were off it would miss and stumble. I took the distributor cap off and the points are new and there was no debris in there. Could it be a bad distributor cap is bad? Or would it more time related. Thank you for the responses

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Wait... it wouldn't miss with 2 plugs out? Or your exhaust sound never changed? Ground the plugs against the tractor somewhere and check for spark. Turn the engine over with the plugs grounded.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

CumminSHO
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby CumminSHO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:44 pm

The plugs were pulled individually. Sorry for the confusion. But I line your idea a lot bet.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:54 am

If plugs are firing, then you'll need to test compression
Thomas

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”