Looking to validate my new C purchase

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Looking to validate my new C purchase

Postby treesitter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:46 am

Greetings all. I have not been on the forum for a while and when I have it has been on the Cub forum, which is what I have had for some time now. I just verbally agreed to a purchase of a C so I am looking for some validation of my deal (price) from those in the know. Although I got the blessing from my better half so the main validation has been taking care of :)

It is a 1948 C and seems to run well. I put a new battery on it to test and it turned right over on the first pull without hesitation and apparently it has not been started for a few months. It has a Freeman loader on it, model 11900, which is what attracted me to it since I need a loader for small jobs. ONe of the hydraulic cylinders is dripping a decent amount but the loader seemed to work fine otherwise. The rear rims have seen better days from the calcium but the rubber on all four looks good. No rear fenders but the rest of the tin seems pretty good. Does not appear to have ever been restored but has had the same owner for at least 50 years. It also comes with a beefy front blade to swap out with the loader bucket, a set of spring cultivators and a set of discs (neither of which I need but will take). Has a nice handy carry-all mounted on the rear. It has the mounting for one of those cab enclosures and there are a couple enclosures that come with it, which have also seen better days. And a farmer buddy of mine has agreed to haul it all to my house for free!

Since I already made the verbal commitment it is coming home with me regardless, all for $1500. But I am anxious to hear the thoughts of others regarding the deal. I am sure I will be on this forum a fair amount over the spring/summer as I check things over closer and do some basic overhauling.

If you think I made a bad deal, just lie to me and say congrats.....

Thanks, Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looking to validate my new C purchase

Postby Super A » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Seems like a solid deal to me. Post pictures!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks. I'll see if I can get my pics small enough to post. The originals on my phone are 5mb so I texted them to myself and they are still too big of a file to post.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

47fivewindow
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21035
Tractors Owned: 65 cub, 56 loboy, 53 super c, 72 574, 73 Ford 2000, 40 9N

Postby 47fivewindow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:07 pm

You Will Amazed what a great tractor you have for 1/3 the price of a chineez lawn tractor. Good deal.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon May 16, 2016 5:16 am

Even without seeing it I'd say that's a good deal, especially with the attachments. Not familiar with the loader but it alone is probably worth most of that price. Does it have a fast hitch?
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1948 Farmall Cub
1977 International LoBoy 184
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow

Postby Urbish » Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 am

I'd say with those attachments and implements, you have far more than $1500 worth of stuff and parts even if the tractor turns out to be a disaster.
Jim

Circle of Safety

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:12 am

Sorry for the delay but thanks for the supportive comments. For the new C so far all it needed, other than some maintenance items, was a radiator and a water pump. Has a steady hydraulic leak on the loader and I originally thought I would need to take the arm off and get new seals put in it. But on closer inspection it is coming from a pipe fitting going into the arm. So hopefully an easier fix but have not got into it yet.

It has cyclic rhythm when it is running, constantly reving to get gas. Like you were moving the throttle back and forth every second or two. Sometimes it smooths out, particularly under even a minor load like going up a small hill, or at very low idle. I cleaned up and lubed the governor arms/linkages. Thinking maybe a carburetor kit/overhaul?

Otherwise it seems to run well. Had to leave the set of disks at the farm where I bought the stuff- the loader on the C did not have enough umph to lift them onto the trailer. The discs are in four sections so I sprayed the crap out them hoping I can go back take take the sections apart, which of course look like they never have been before.

But I also had my Cub split in half during my work on the C for a clutch issue, which I have another clutch related issue and need to unfortunately need to split it again. Going to post a new thread on that to get collective thoughts. It is my main mower so I need to get it back in shape.

Thanks, Andy

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”