Question about 230 lever or rod function.

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42048

Question about 230 lever or rod function.

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello all, I'm a newbie here.

I have a Farmall 230 that used to be my grandfathers. Over the past month I have been getting things going on it after it has been sitting in a barn for 10 years and I'm learning new things as I go.

One of these new things that is stumping me is a rod, that I assume was connected to a lever next to the throttle, that is now rigged with some wire to the bottom of the throttle lever. When I push forward on the throttle all the way, this second rod that is rigged to the throttle goes into a square box and it seems to trigger a pop in this box and the tension on that rod is relieved.

Now I don't have the tractor running just yet as I am waiting on new ignition parts, but I was wondering if this will have anything to do with getting the tractor started. The rod goes into the box like it runs beside the starter rod. This box sits in front of the oil gauge a little bit and is directly under the gas tank on the right side of the tractor. I don't have a picture of it yet as I am at work but could anyone at all possible tell me what this is and what the function of it is.

Again, I am new to all this and am hoping to turn this family tractor into a good strong working one like my grandfather had it. It ran when it was parked in the barn so I know with a little TLC I'll be good. I just don't want to buy a $40 manual to find out what this is lol.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge. I have been reading the forums and this has been a great source of into for me.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Question about 230 lever or rod function.

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:45 pm

I think we are going to need a picture.

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Ok, I found one in my phone that I took as a series of "Before" and "After" pics. This has the old starter on it, and directly to the left and up of the starter is the square with a small lever and the four bolts in it. It is right under the tank. I hope this helps.

http://imgur.com/ay38H73

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:16 pm

That is a control valve for the Hydra-Touch hydraulic system. It should have a separate lever near the speed control but not be connected to the speed control. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the level of the hydraulic fluid before starting the engine. Otherwise, the hydraulics should have no bearing on getting the engine started.

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Ok thank you. I do appreciate the help. How would I go about checking it?

I assume I should invest in the operators manual for this tractor shouldn't I? That's the one that would explain this and more right?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Absolutely.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Ok cool deal.

Well, when I buy it would you want to add the manual to your collection? I don't mind to buy it since I'm going to use it and you guys can feel free to put it on here so others like me that have the 230 could use it. Pay it forward you know? If so, you can PM me and I'll send it to whomever to get it up on the site.

I'm going to just get the PDF of the McCormick Farmall 230 Operators Manual. That is correct right? If you would recommend a better one or if that will work I'm game. Just want to make sure that is the good one. Again, thank you all so much.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 pm

If you're going to be using and maintaining this tractor, I'd suggest purchasing the Service Manual and Parts Catalog in addition to the Operator's Manual.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Circle of Safety

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:31 am

Ok well the PDF idea doesn't seem like I can get it for my model so I just ordered a physical copy via snail mail. I'll take the binding off and run it through my scanner to make a PDF.

I'll start with operator and work through the other two. Again, thanks to you all.

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Ok guys, I'm still waiting on my manuals so I have another question.

I got the tractor going finally and it runs great. I need to replace the water pump gasket and probably the valve cover gasket.

The transmission works and the tractor drives and the PTO works.

My hydraulics don't work. I have no idea how to fill them or check the fluid. There is a junction box under the seat that does to the check valve and from the check valve the lines go to the pump itself. I'm pretty sure I am low on fluid. Could you guys tell me where I can check the fluid and what type of fluid do I need to fill it up with? And if it is full, I have read that the filter might be gunked up, but I have no idea where that is either or how to remove it to check it.

Again, I am sorry to ask questions all the time but doing so you guys have allowed me to make progress on this I would otherwise not have been able to do. So again, thank you all for the help. I'm hoping the manuals will tell me all I need to know so I'm not bugging you guys.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Hydraulic fill and filter are both on the left side of the TC unit, under the fuel tank. The fill is a hex head plug. The filter is a square-ish plate, about 3 inches on each side, with four bolts and a wire/cable exiting the center. Any work on the filter will require draining the system and a replacement gasket. Since you probably don't know what type of fluid is in the system, I would suggest that you completely drain the system and replace all the fluid. Six to eight pints, depending on system configuration.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Circle of Safety

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Thank you!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:05 pm

What Don said is correct if the tractor has a Touch-Control system. As a 230, it is more likely to have a Hydra-Touch system. If so, I believe the filler is on the left side, directly into the bell housing, immediately in front of the main hydraulic components. The drain is on the left, at the bottom of the bell housing, directly below the main hydraulic components. The filter is on the right side behind the starter. It is covered with a plate held by 4 cap screws. If it has a flat plate, it has a filter element. If the plate has a large indentation, it is a strainer. There will be no cable in the center of the plate.

I don't know the fill amount or how high it should be at the filler. An inch below the threads of the plug will be adequate to get it functioning.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Just as a point of clarification, my descriptions are of a Super C. My assumption was that they were the same or similar. Everyone knows what happens when you ass-u-me. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Circle of Safety

Jaebrav81
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Jaebrav81 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Just as a point of clarification, my descriptions are of a Super C. My assumption was that they were the same or similar. Everyone knows what happens when you ass-u-me. :D

You were correct sir.

Now my question is this. Doing a system flush and replacing the fluid, what do I need to get?

I have a Tractor Supply near me, and other than that I have Big Box stores and Autozone. Do any of them carry the hyraulic fluid I would need. My operators manual that came today just says IH Hyra-Touch brand. The only other thing is says for an alternative is It says that in weather that won't get below 40 degrees F, I could use SAE 90. Can I walk into any of the stores and pick up a brand that works that it's going to give me trouble?

Thank you all again!