Freeze crack

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jaebrav81
Zip Code: 42048

Freeze crack

Postby Jaebrav81 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:49 am

Ok guys I took the head off my 230 because when I topped the fluid off I noticed fluid pumping out of my manifold when I was turning it over. It was coolant so I thought the head gasket was blown maybe. So I tore it open and found the head to be cracked, not a big deal because I have another one.

But the block has a crack. It's not external and it is only at the coolant ports. It goes my the cylinder sleeve, but the sleeve isn't cracked.

Here is a picture link:

http://imgur.com/SMCoT5f

Short of getting a new block, I've seen where people have had success with options such as extreme heat J.B. Weld in this case and worked I to the crack the best they could and then cleaned it up and let the weld and new head gasket do the job and keep coolant out of the cylinders.

I'm pretty sure the coolant came from the head portion of the crack, so I think that a good clean head gasket would do the trick with a new head, but I want to be sure. Any suggestions short of getting this welded or stitched? Something I can do in my backyard since I'm pretty much broke now lol.

Jaebrav81

Re: Freeze crack

Postby Jaebrav81 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:58 am

Also I was going to ask if anyone knows of a place I can get an engine block online from? Nobody around me seems to have any C-123 engines for sale or salvage.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 am

That is very odd because they probably made 500,000 of the things... Every salvage yard in America should have at least a couple sitting around.

Sorry I don't know of any place to get a used block online. I do know you can get remanufactured short blocks, which will have new sleeves pistons rings bearings etc.. Basically an overhauled engine block. But you need a good core to exchange.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Did you call JP Tractor Salvage (sponsor at the bottom of the page)?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jaebrav81

Postby Jaebrav81 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:19 am

Well, I got the new head on and from all the inspections I did it seems that only the coolant chambers where affected. It didn't interfere with the port holes to feed it into the head or looked like it would allow oil and coolant mix so I gave it a go and crossed my fingers. So far so good and the tractor has been used in several fields to bush hog for several hours on end. I changed the oil after about a good ten hours of work and no coolant in the crankcase. I think I got lucky. Thank you all.

I did call the place in the banner and lined up my options in case this engine failed. I had nothing to lose so I gave it a shot. They had pretty darn good prices. I recently bought a M and Super M, one which needs some work, so I'll be doing some business with them soon.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”