Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mosherd1
Zip Code: 06016

Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Postby Mosherd1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm

This is my first post, and already the information I have found has been quite helpful. I am trying to determine the practical difference between a Super C and Super A.

I am looking at two tractors and cannot decide on which to choose from. One is a Super C with a snow plow. It is listed for $1,950, good rubber, rear hydro lift bar. The plow is mounted to the center of the tractor. Converted to 12V.

The A is listed for $2,150 but after talking to the guy today i should be able to get it for $2,000. It comes with a snow plow mounted to the rear of the tractor, I hear it is stronger in case you hut a icy snow bank will have less of a chance to break. It comes with snow chains, a trailer to haul wood, and had its engine rebuilt about 5 years ago. Good tires as well. Converted to 12V.

I would like it for snow removal, plowing or wheel harrowing 8 acres, dragging brush and logs as I clear some land. This land has not been plowed in probably 15 years and is starting to get overgrown. I know the engines are the same for each, but am wondering if the A would be big enough for what I am trying to do without struggling. Then if the engines are the same would it matter? So I am a bit confused. I would also use it to haul water to pigs. I would end up painting both with new decals. So any advice or your thoughts would be great. Thanks for your help!
-Dave

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:37 am

For starters. The engines are not the same. The Super C has the C123 and the Super A has the C113. The Super C has a larger motor.

That being said, a read mounted blade? Interesting. I have a Super A for snow removal and its great. I have the 1A-60 blade.

The Super A can handle all of that. I do similar tasks with mine. I haul a trailer, I've yarded our boat around with it. I've dragged trees. I have also plowed and wheel harrowed with it.

Essentially they will both be able to do what you want given they have the right implements. If space isn't an issue I don't see why getting the Super C would be a problem. Its a taller and wider tractor, but has a slight edge over the Super C in power.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 am

Depending on what's been done to it the Super A might be about the same HP as the Super C. (It is a Super A right? If no hydraulics it's a plain A and in that case I would go for the Super C) You can't visually tell the difference between a 123 and a 113 unless you look at the serial numbers but many times Super As got 3 1/8" pistons when they were overhauled. The Super C even though taller and wider is very nimble for its size. Super A will be more compact.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.