This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 460 fast hitch to 3-pt conversion

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dock09
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall 460 fast hitch to 3-pt conversion

Postby dock09 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:12 pm

I have a 1961 Farmall 460 (NOT Utility) gasoline tractor with a two point fast hitch. I am getting ready to purchase the inserts that convert the fast hitch to a three point hitch along with the top link bracket that attaches to the rock shaft. Some of the inserts are straight (this is for a cat 1 hitch) and some appear to angle upward. I am not talking about the ones that have bends to the side for use as a cat 2 hitch. My questions involves the cat 1 inserts and whether any of you have any experience with the straight inserts compared with those that are angled upward. Which should I get and why? I intend to use a box blade and mower. What's with those inserts that angle upward when they leave the fast hitch? Also how much sideways play is there in the fast hitch draw arms on the 460? I have not removed the drawbar yet (and can't right now because the tactor is in Tennesss and I reside in Louisiana) so I don't know how much play I will have there to attach implements. Also some of the inserts have Spee balls and some are notched on top for attaching the implement. It seems as though the notched arms would be easier to connect to implements. Any thoughts?? Thanks guys - Rex

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

460 3pt conversion

Postby LiL' Red » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Rex, buy the tongs with the upswept ends, you will need the extra lift height. Had a set of straight offset L&R and couldn't lift my mower high enough. You will have very little lateral movement in your fast hitch lift arms.

dock09
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dock09 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks Lil Red. That is the kind of advice I needed. Anyone want to talk me out of the arms that are notched on top (as opposed to those with spee balls)?
Thanks again everyone.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LiL' Red » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:33 pm

Rex, where did you find notched arms? I got tired of fighting with the speeballs on my 560 and added a quick hitch. Since there is so little lateral play in the Fast Hitch sometimes it is a real challenge to get hooked up. If the notched arms have a locking device it sounds like they would be worth a serious look.

dock09
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dock09 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:21 am

Lil Red - You can find them at http://www.batescorp.com and http://www.tonystractors.com for starters. I am sure they can be found elsewhere.
If you don't mind look at them and tell me what you think. Thanks - Rex

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:36 pm

Rex, just checked out both websites. If it were me I would tend to go with the set from Tony's. They are cheaper and will give you a little added lift height. Putting the set of lock pins in & out is not as handy as the set from Bates, but, you have to get off the tractor to hook up the top link anyway so no big deal. Just out of curiousity are you going with cat. 1 or 2?

dock09
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dock09 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm

I'm going with cat I. Thanks for the assessment.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”