This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"Type" of Headlights

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

"Type" of Headlights

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:10 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell of your headlights are "Guide-Type" or "Dietz-Type"? I need replacement headlight retaining rings on my 340U. JP Tractor didn't have any but suggested IH may still have them. Looking in the Parts Manual, there are two families of headlights with two sets of numbers, classified as Guide or Dietz. Can't tell from the line diagrams how they look different. Seems to me I heard this same terminology before, maybe with regard to Cub lights.

While the headlight body housings had surface rust, hot tanking, a little Bondo in one pinhole, primer and paint got them looking pretty good. NAPA had the sealed beam bulbs. All I need are the rings.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:25 am

Paul,

Can you post a picture of both front and rear of your headlights? May help with identification.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:26 am

Look on the back side of the housings. Many lamps have the company name stamped in, usually near the stem. I don't know that it is on all of them and it may be impossible to find if filled with paint.

Here's another clue from looking at 240 parts catalog (don't have 340). It appears that the screw for the Guide retaining ring screws into the ring itself. The Dietz uses a fillister head screw with a nut. Closely inspect your old rings to see evidence that they were originally threaded.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”