This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 404 & 1-bottom,3pt. plow

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

IH 404 & 1-bottom,3pt. plow

Postby SONNY » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Today I needed a high clearance plow for turning under THICK layer of compost in the garden so I made a 1-bottom, 16" high clearance cat. 1 3pt. unit ! It came off a big 5 bottom semi-mount Oliver plow!---After some cutting and welding, got a plow that will turn under about anything you can run the tractor over!
404 good for about a foot deep in our black gumbo we have here in our garden!----any deeper,---gotta use a bigger horse on it!
Right side of plow, shows mountings!
Right side of tractor with plow raised out of ground!

thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:08 pm

hi sonny,
how often do you need to plow a garden that deep? i used to keep a good garden and it was only plowed once when i first started it. do you rototill it as well?
John

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:55 pm

Hi, John!---I probably plow & till more than really necessary, but I've found that in this black gumbo the more you work it the mellower it gets/stays, plus I need the compost mixed in deep (24" is my goal)!
I also subsoil 24" deep before plowing!--In the spring it gets hit with the big tiller 2 or 3 times before we plant to help knock out as many weed seedlings as we can before planting!
This ground will seal over and water won't soak in when it rains, it will only run off like water on the pavement does! Never could grow any kind of potatoes before we started doing this but now even carrots grow long and straight, sweet potatoes grow nice size and shape too! Thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”