IH Temp Gauge

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm

I have been wondering for some time . If the temp gauge works on our tractor , I have asked several folks how hot it has to get to be in the run range, so with the help of my wife , candy thermometer and Microwave we did a check.
0-around 180 F cold range. 200 F puts it right in the middle of the run range.
Was wondering why our tractors gauge never seemed to get to the run range. Takes alot to get it to the 200 F range, with all the casting acting as a heat sink.
Just one of the somewhat , useless bits of info some may wonder about.
Phil

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:23 pm

It woul be interesting to seee how hot the oil gets in these things.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I haven't seen my Super M that dad bought new show any reading for years. Of course he quit farming 30 years ago and it hasn't done much since.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 pm

I spent a lot of hours on an M that was reading near the red for long periods of time. Plowing and disking for 10 - 12 hours a day will do that. I guess systems designed to handle that kind of load without overheating wouldn't warm up much under no load.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:43 pm

It is quite hard to get the guage to even more with out "working" the engine. Using only distilled water mixed with antifreeze or a premixed antifreeze makes a HUGE difference in the temp gauge reading. Plain tap water has mineral impurites that (over time) coat the capillary tube sensor and act as an insulator.

Sometimes an old temp guage can be brought back to life by carefully removing the gauge probe and then wire brushing the scale off of the sensor.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Forgot to mention that it was Christmas present from My Son-in_law and Daughter. They think well!
That I did the checks with.
Phil