install electronic ing.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 am

Has anyone installed electronic ing. on a super c with regular batt. ing. No mag. just a coil.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 pm

If no one here can help(witch would shock me) try YTMAG disscusion fourm for tractor pullers.http://www.ytmag.com/pulling/wwwboard1.html

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:15 am

I haven't installed one on a Farmall, but I do run one on my Cockshutt 20. I have installed them on several cars as well. Installation is very straight forward, almost as easy as changing points and they work great.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:33 am

When installing one here is a tip that will save you money!
It is a one wire hook up that is very easy. I decided to put a new coil on at the same time .[ we converted to 12 at this time ]

It doesn't matter if it is 6 volt or 12 volt either coil has to have a "resistor" in it or a external balast resistor . All [farmall] 6 volt coils have a built in resistor that drops the volts coming out of your coil to the pick up in the dist .

I had a 12volt high out put MSD coil so i used it !!!!! It worked great but the coil got warrrrm , but still ran fine . Here is the bight in the ass..

I pulled the ign. switch to the "on" position with out starting it to chech the wireing on the lights. Well after about 5 mins i smelt something burning guess what it was , my new electronic ign was burning .

It was toast , trash, crap all because i didn't use a ballest resistor on a automotive coil. If it was a 12 volt tractor coil i would have been fine.

But for what it's worth it ran great for that 1/2 hr i got to use it .

Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Electronic ignition is vastly over-rated. You don't need it. The money you spend on that kit will buy enough tune-up kits to keep that tractor running for as long as you want.