Interesting trivia

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:43 pm

I was looking at the WHS paint committee decisions and clicked on one for manure spreaders. In 1939 they eliminated a decorative 1/2" stripe along the top of the box. The projected savings was $854.40 based on an estimated run of 12,000 spreaders. That works out to $.07 saved on each spreader. Put all those stripers out of work I guess.

Bob

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:36 pm

Probably alot of money saved back in 1939. Unfortunately, you are probably right. I'm sure someone lost their job because of this also.

Red56

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:47 pm

Back in 1939 that was a lot of money.Today I sounds like chump change.A nickle when I was a kid got 5 pieces of candy. :shock: :shock: Kevin

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:10 am

nope. you guys got it all wrong. ol' jake the striper had been on the job for over thirty years without a day off. worked two shifts a day, every day for $854.40. when jake decided to retire he was just not replaced. he couldn't be replaced. nobody else knew how to make a stripe. all anyone else knew how to do was single colors over the whole piece. as i understand the story, nearly a quarter century later someone was brought in from the truck department when one renegade worker was doing two tone paint jobs.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:53 pm

KETCHAM wrote:Back in 1939 that was a lot of money.Today I sounds like chump change.A nickle when I was a kid got 5 pieces of candy. :shock: :shock: Kevin

Your STILL!!! a kid. :roll: :roll: Grump

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Bob, I don't know the date of manufacture of my spreader. Do I add the stripe or not? Its not the 7 cents, but political correctness, at issue here. (OK, Its really the 7 cents). Ed

Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:52 pm

Ed, I've never found any way to date the spreaders. There may have been some minor part changes somewhere along the way. I looked back at the WHS paint committee decision. They list a 1-T, and a 100-T, neither of which I have heard of. That seems to put the 100 after the paint change, so I think its safe to leave the stripe off. If you think you can do it for $ .07 (including labor), you should probably go ahead and put it on. :D :D

Bob

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 am

Bob, I would only have to buy the paint. The painter isn't very good, but he works cheap. Ed

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 am

Seems like many of us have that not very good works cheap painter going for us.