This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tricks for tie rod free-up?

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Veggiehead
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tricks for tie rod free-up?

Postby Veggiehead » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi guys-- I'm moving out the tires on our 230, and the rears went like butter but the tie rods seem to be well-stuck. Anybody have any tips for freeing them up so they move as easily as the manual makes it sound? Will some acetylene heat do it, or is there something else?
Thanks!
Ben

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 am

On a standard adjustable tie rod I take a couple of washer that will slide over the solid shaft and up against the tube. Then find a socket that will slide on the solid shaft and up against the previous washer, then add another large washer. Leave about 1/2 inch of thread showing. Replace the tie rod end and start tightening. When you run out of thread add washers. Make sure to soak it good in Kroil a day or two before you start.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:08 am

One other thing. did you completely remove the bolts? They are in notches on most of the tie rods, and the rods can't be pulled out till they are removed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Do make sure that the bolts are all the way out as already mentioned, and then the oxy/acetylene torch can be your best friend. Get it good and hot, let it cool just slightly, and then spray everything down with P.B. blaster or similar, and then walk away from it. You may have to repeat the process.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Cecil wrote:On a standard adjustable tie rod I take a couple of washer that will slide over the solid shaft and up against the tube. Then find a socket that will slide on the solid shaft and up against the previous washer, then add another large washer. Leave about 1/2 inch of thread showing. Replace the tie rod end and start tightening. When you run out of thread add washers. Make sure to soak it good in Kroil a day or two before you start.

not real sure but I think the 230 has the same type tie rods as a 130 [ ball and socket] not like a cub I take them off and lay them on a hard flat serface and strike them with a hammer all the way around the tube and soak in pb blaster they will come free. If you are in a hurry heat em up
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:53 pm

If they are bent, you may have to carefully straighten them, before you can do any good. Also, if they are automotive style ends, A&I makes good aftermarket replacement, that are cost-effective.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”